We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

We are arriving 8:30 pm to the Liihue airport on kauai and drive about 30 min. to our condo in Poipu. What is open late for something to eat?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

Try Duke's Barefoot Bar. It's south of the airport and just a small detour for you. They should be open plenty late.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

stick "late night dining" into the search box and you'll find some older threads.

there isn't much after 9 pm. Hamura's in Lihue is one choice. Open late and fairly lite on your stomach.

There's some fast food in Lihue open late as well. It's not a late night town and most restaurants are dead by 9:30

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

My guess is you probably want something fast? By the time you get out of the airport and get your rental car figure 9:30. Do you want a restaurant or something you can grab and go if your first decision.

This may sound like heresy on this forum but I'd go with fast food. After flying all day and getting in late you might want to get to the condo and unwind. You've got McD, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Burger King and Taco Bell all along the way to Poipu. All offer healthier options these days.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

We head to Hamura's from the airport no matter what time of day .....

They will pack it to Go if you prefer.

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60623-d493…

Edited: 11 November 2012, 19:25
California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

Hamura's is not your typical place to stop. If you haven't been to the islands I question this first impression. I like this local spot don't get me wrong (great, great saimin and pie) but it certainly isn't your "tropical I am on Kauai" spot. I just want to make that clear. I too would head to Duke's bar but at 9:30 I personally would eat on the plane or in HNL and get to the condo asap. By the time you get the car, stop for food, order, eat and wait for the bill, its now 11 and you still have a drive to get to Poipu. I have done the drive thru many a time or stopped at the grocery store for a few items to snack on at the condo. Just another take!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

We've often landed about that time - we grab our car, check into our condo, drop our bags and then head to Keoki's. If you're in Poipu, you'll be close. I think they are open until 10:30.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

If it's a first visit to Kauai finding Hamura's in the dark on those small back streets will not be easy. And I agree with Jebett on first impressions especially late at night. It's a funky little spot with great local food but it's a place to be savored after one settles into the atmosphere of Kauai. Not late at night after just arriving at the airport and in a hurry to get to the condo and kick back.

Check it out another time while on the road sightseeing. Hamura's gets great reviews from the small sampling here but it really isn't for everyone. A relaxing stop during the daytime gives a more fair impression and makes it a lot easier to find too.

8. Re: Kauai late arrival suggestions for a bite to eat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Lihue