We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Victoria,Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
grocery shopping

Has anybody shopped at e Times Supermarket in the mall next to Costco. saw that a Safeway was scheduled to go there but dont think that that has happened. We are gong to Poipu and plan to stop at Costco but will also need to pick up other groceries that we dont want to buy large quantities of.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery shopping

Yes. we shop there for things that Costco doesn't have.

If you put "groceries" in the search function you'll get info on the other groceries in Poipu where you could do the same.

Safeway was waiting for the highway project to finish (and the economy to turn too I suspect).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery shopping

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Thankfully (in my mind at least!) the Safeway project in the Puhi area is on indefinite hold.

However, there are many grocery stores other than Costco that you can shop at between the airport and here in the Po'ipu area.

Times at Kukui Grove is one - I seldom shop there myself, so can't really give you my impressions lately.

Here in the Koloa - Po'ipu area you have: Big Save, Sueoka Store - both located in Old Koloa town....Big Save is more like a "Safeway" type of store, while Sueoka is a local Mom and Pop store that carries basic goods as well as lots of specialized local goodies - they also have a Snack Shop that is just outside the entrance to the store.

Kukui'ula Market - located on Po'ipu Road across from the fire station - this is NOT in the big new Kukui'ula Shopping Village, but a smaller shopping area that has a dive shop, "Da Crack" mexican take-out, and the family owned Kukui'ula Market, which has lots of basic grocery items, as well as many local goodies made on the premises, a juice bar, and an area devoted to Sweet Marie's baked goods.

I don't consider Living Foods (in the new Kukui'ula Shopping Village) a grocery store per se - since it is very high-end and specialized. If you can afford to shop there for groceries, I tip my hat to you! lol Also there is Whaler's General Store at the Po'ipu Shopping Village. This would be a last ditch resort only since it is resort priced items - if you were desperate and had no other option, it would be there however.

Most people who live in this area (Koloa/Po'ipu) shop at Big Save, Sueoka Store or Kukui'ula Market, in addition to making "big" shopping trips to Costco.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery shopping

Yep, Time market is alive and well. If and when safeway goes in, it will be at a different location as far as I am aware...not the same building.

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery shopping

Be aware that Times and Big Save are now the same store - and have the same ads. Personally, I find our store in Koloa more dependable for available groceries - at Kukui they tend to run out of items very OFTEN even though it is bigger. Koloa Big Save isn't a large store, but it will get you what you need with minimum fuss! It is also open until 11 p.m.

The new Safeway is slotted to go in on the property across the highway from Kilohana Plantation, at the entrance.

Edited: 05 December 2012, 22:18
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grocery shopping

Here's the weekly ad.

http://www.timessupermarkets.com/

Parksville, B.C.
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grocery shopping

While in Poipu recently we did most of our grocery shopping ay Big Save in Koloa. They had everyrthing we needed and then some. Decent prices too. Fresh fruit and veggies were better at the farmers markets than at any of the stores on the island

7. Re: grocery shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:16