We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort with good snorkeling

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
309 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Resort with good snorkeling

Hi I was wondering if anyone can recommend a resort that has good snorkelling from the beach. I enjoy snorkelling everyday and would prefer not to have to pay for excursions or travel to snorkel.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,126 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

There is tons of snorkeling from shore on the Big Island, I do it all the time. In fact I think the shore snorkeling is much better than the boat options, plus we have some great snorkeling off of lovely beaches, although none as lovely as Ke'e and Tunnels, I'll admit :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

Next time I am heading to the Big Island, I want that list please Shea . . . I so love snorkeling. :)

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

Coalminer-have you been to the beach called 2 step by the City of Refuge, south of Kona? You just plunk into deep water right off a lava step and it is lovely. I still remember seeing a school of several hundred yellow tangs there. The water is so clear and you can snorkel long distances in each direction. Our daughter loves Kahalua (sp?) Beach because it is easy in and out and lots of the puffer fish she loves, but it is crowded. Renting a kayak and paddling out to Captain Cook Monument for snorkeling is fantastic. I think I read that you need a permit to do that on your own now, but I don't know the details. We actually had a monk seal swim with us while we were snorkeling there. Some people have dolphins come right up to their kayaks in the bay.

Shea--I'd love to see your list too! We are just starting to plan our next Hawai trip and it'll be the Big Island again.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

I think kayaking into Kealakekua Bay has been banned.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"pzp" is right, no unpermitted kayaking in Kealakekua Bay......

khon2.com/news/…7uAIZ6P3rkGzpMgn7vy4IA.cspx

Malama Pono,

Janet

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
403 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

I agree with others here that the snorkeling on Kauai is not that great. It's all relative but after having snorkeled/dove the caymans, curacao, cozumel, and mauai, I'd have to say that Kauai was the most disappointing. There's plenty of other things to enjoy on Kauai but I would say if snorkeling is a high priority then go to Mauai or Big Island.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

That article is confusing-it says there is a temporary ban on unpermitted kayaks so maybe kayaks with permits can still enter? It would be a shame if it was not possible to do that trip to snorkel there.

And back to Kauai--if a person feels comfortable entering the water at Lawai and swimming along the shore in both directions there is some good snorkeling. There's been so much of a current I hadn't done that on this trip yet and I wasn't sure if my memory was accurate. We were in this morning for a few hours and had some great snorkeling, but you are really on your own doing this. We used flotation vests and fins for extra safety.

Braintree Essex
Level Contributor
315 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

I am visiting Kauai for 1 day only on a cruise ship. I love snorkelling for an hour or so then lazing on a gorgeous beach for the rest of the day.

I am thinking of booking a trip to kilauea volcano for our day on Hilo.

Going on a whale watching tour in Maui but will have a couple of hours spare around Lahaina port area and, booked to go to Pearl harbour when in Honolulu so was banking on a beach day on Kauai, Have I done this the wrong way round?

Karen.

LA
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

kazzalisa-

Your question is buried here at the end of this thread.

You are better off posting this as a new post. Especially as you have three different quiestions here about three different islands.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 19:03
20. Re: Resort with good snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Lihue