We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

Are they flexible on a flight from HNL to Lih?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

Not like Aloha Airlines was! If there was a seat open, they put you in it, no charge and with a smile! But in some instances yes:

http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/633/~/same-day-standby---neighbor-island-flights

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

I miss Aloha Airlines. *sniff*

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

I tried a simple bump to an earlier flight a few months ago - and was told an absolute "no." They would only put me on the plane indicated on my ticket. Will I try again in the future? You bet!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

I have about 1 1/2 hour layover in HNL. I had the perfect connection when I booked it last year. Flight time changed on my Koa to HNL flight (booked on AA points but passed on to Hawaiian Air) causing me to miss my HNL to LIH connection. Had to rebook last leg and pay price difference and change fee. AA has recently changed me to an earlier flight but HA won't revert me back to my original HNL to LIH flight. They want more money. It's too complicated. I'll just sit tight.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

HH55.......seeking clarification...

You are Travelling same day KOA-HNL-LIH......on two separate PNRs?

Was it not possible to book the miles redemption including both segments?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

Hitch......nothing to lose by giving it a try when you arrive! Otherwise just hang out at Stinger Ray's with a Mai Tai and maybe some Kalua Pig Nachos!

Is all your air booked on one itinerary? If not, you'll need to retrieve bags (if checked) and re-check them with HA.

3Chihuahuas

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

No, Wander, AA said there was not service from Kona to Lihue.

I made the mistake of not "linking" the two reservations so HA didn't know about the connection.

I've argued and tried but they won't budge, even though they changed the original flight on us. Anyway, I'll try again at the Kona gate. If it doesn't work out, that's ok. I'm not going to fight it anymore.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

3 chi, every thing is booked. They (HA) linked the two reservations so hopefully they'll just send the bags on thru to LIH. I really wante dto get there at my originally scheduled time because I wanted to make the Hyatt Torch lighting ceremony and then go Bon Dance in Waimea. So, we'll probably miss the Hyatt and be late to the dance. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

Good you got the itineraries linked......Of course the bags will be interlined....as they are all on Hawaiian .It matters not , if there are 2PNRs or one is revenue and the other points.The baggage fees should be just one Inter island.....but not certain...as I am not a baggage fee guru(have never paid them)

Well, I can appreciate your frustration with the incorrect info given you by the AA agent......because, we clearly know there is a KOA-LIH option....with a stop in HNL. Sometimes not even a change in plane.

I know it is what is for you right now, but for me , whenever I get an answer from a telephone ticket agent that does not jive with what I KNOW......I simply Thank them for their assistance...count to 10.... and call back and have the whole thing done up properly with another agent.(Hasn't failed me yet)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,766 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Airlines: Standby flexiblity.

Wanderlust is correct. There are through flights from one island to another on one itinerary, considered one flight, with just a stop in HNL. Sometimes changing planes, sometimes not even a plane change. Probably too late now but something to know for the future. Always best to check with Hawaiian for the real story. On the other hand it might differ when using miles. Hawaiian airlines has really cracked down on the mainland carriers insofar as how they let the mainland carriers use mileage on their flights. It's possible they've required them to book it as 2 seperate flights each requiring miles. If a person uses Hawaiian miles on the Hawaiian flights the rules and availability are easier.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 22:38