We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time of day for small plane tour/flying in June

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
What time of day for small plane tour/flying in June

DS has started flying lessons, and on our trip to Kauai next June (first week of the month), one day we're going to do the airplane tour with "Wings Over Kauai" and another day we'll have DS go up with a flight instructor from "Wings over Kauai" in the Cessna for an hour to do some of his own flying. This will let him enjoy the scenery, history/commentary, and take pictures (He's a bit of a photographer and enjoy Kauai as a pilot too. DH and I will do the airplane tour and might even have some extended family come too. // Anyway what time of day do you think would be our best time to go? Choices are 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m., or 4 p.m.. For shadows for photography I was thinking either 9:30 or 4 (probably 9:30 a.m. For calm skies for flying (least chance of cancellation when DS flies) what time would you think? I believe lesson times are similar to air tour times.

Thanks so much. I email Wings Over Kauai and asked them the same question too, but would love to hear opinions from this forum also.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time of day for small plane tour/flying in June

You might want to hold off booking your flight times until you get on island and look at the trends. Or go by what Bruce of WOK suggests, He has thousands of hours flying here on kauai and is also a CFI.

This last couple of weeks we have had rain and clouds early, and other days clear skies and sunshine early, clouds in the afternoon, and sunshine in the afternoon.

So as far as me telling you to book a certain time and guaranteeing that it will be the weather that you need would be a WAG on my part.

for photos of the Napali pobably afternoon as you already of surmised.

Flying with the family in the G-2 aero van, you all can shoot away, but remember WOK is going to give you a complementary professional DVD ( not of your specific flight ) but the same route of flight with great scenes........that will be excellent to review and show freinds.

Also for the photo flights.....you might want to wear dark clothing, light apparel reflects on the plexiglass and the photos will not be what you expected. You will see you instead of that waterfall in your pictures.

You have chosen an excellent fixed wing company for both the air tour, and the flight lesson. You have done your homework. Outstanding.

I love to see young people learning to fly, there are not many doing that now. A salute to your son and his dedcation and study and possibly in a few years perhaps a career in aviation. Us old airmen , many of us are on life's final glide slope, and enjoy seeing the young eagles and their enthusiasm.

Denny

Edited: 15 July 2013, 05:40
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time of day for small plane tour/flying in June

Thanks for all the tips Denny. We'll be in Kauai for a week, and Lihue is only a 1/2 hour from where we are staying, so we have some flexibility and will give the company a call when we get there.

3. Re: What time of day for small plane tour/flying in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:19