We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

Aransas Pass, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

My Wife and I are coming to Kauai near the end April and we're wondering if anyone has any tips for the best rental car deals.

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

Reserve through this car rental company

http://discounthawaiicarrental.com

Choose whatever is cheaper. They are all pretty much the same. Book now.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

The two cheapest I have used are discounthawaiicarrental.com and Costco.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

Any of the majors is fine. As mentioned, DHCR and Costco usually have the best prices.

Aransas Pass, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

Thanks to you all, my Wife and I truly appreciate the advice.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

If you choose Enterprise or Thrifty, they are off airport, but still a short shuttle ride and you don't have the extravagant airport taxes.

Aransas Pass, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

Thanks for that infomation slabeaume!

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

I will be arriving in Kauai this week. I wanted to rent a car on the website (DHCR) someone has posted above. Are airport taxes included if I pick up at Lihue Airport?

Level Contributor
229 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

Hello

Costco gave us $ 196.00 with Budget for a whole week !

We were thrilled .

Happy Holidays to you .

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

AlezaMa,

When you pick up your car, all costs (including airport tax) are included in your payment - if this is what you mean. You don't pay anything separately. The DHCR site will give you a rate with all expenses included - they come back with the price quote a day or so after you send your request. And nearer to the date of your visit, re-check for a drop in rates - we saved about $50 this way. You do not pre-pay with DHCR when you send a request - you are not committed to anything & they don't have credit card info on your reservation. You only pay when you actually pick up the car.

We had a better rate for a week on Kauai (National, thru DHCR) than we had for 3 days in Phoenix, Arizona three months later! Same size car.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 04:57
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car agencys at Lihue Airport

AlezaMa12: If you have a reservation through DHCR, they should have told you the rental car company that you are getting your car from along with a confirmation number. You can go to the rental car companies web site that you will be picking up the car from and use the confirmation number to look up your reservation and see breakdown of the various line items that make up the rental car cost.

Edit: Not sure if you rented yet but at DHCR you can do "RESERVE YOURSELF" and get instant quote for car and see breakdown. You arrive very soon and have no car rented????

Edited: 05 March 2014, 09:13