We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

New Berlin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

Two of us are staying in Lihue from Nov 21st - 29th, 2014. We live in Milwaukee but considering flying from Chicago (ORD).

-Any suggestions WHEN we should book flights?

-If we should book flights from ORD?

-Various posts have also suggested flying into either Phoenix or Vegas for cheaper flights. then taking Hawaiian airlines to Lihue. Those posts were from 2012, so looking for updated feedback. Thank you! We're freakin excited and if the rumors are true...Jurassic Park, here we come. :-)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

You're just going to have to look at all of your options. Look at itineraries that begin in Milwaukee. Then look at itineraries that leave from Chicago. The odds are that an itinerary that leaves from Milwaukee is going to mean one additional connection somewhere. Flights out of Chicago would be more direct, less stops. What is it, about a 90 minute drive from Milwaukee to O'hare? I'd probably focus on flying out of ORD.

Then you need to check your options for where to arrive in Hawaii. You can fly into HNL then take Hawaiian airlines from there. Or, you can fly right into Lihue. This would mean catching a flight on the mainland from west coast cities - LAX, SFO, Oakland, Seattle, Phoenix, etc. These cities have flights directly into Lihue.

So you have a variety of combinations you should check out online using one of the airline search functions - Kayak, etc.

As far as HOW to book you're going to be much better off by booking the itinerary as a whole. In other words, don't book each segment through different websites. When you plug in your routing, such as ORD - LIH , it will include the Hawaiian Airlines segment as part of the itinerary and all part of the same ticket number. This is important for baggage transfers and more.

So try various combinations and see what works for you pricewise. If it were me, I'd fly out of ORD with a connection on the West coast directly into Lihue. Compare that to the price of flying into HNL with a transfer to Hawaiian Airlines.

As far as WHEN to book...... youi're talking just 4 months from now. Keep in mind the interisland flights, if you decide to go that route, are limited in number and the best prices sell out first. Hawaiian airlines isn't known for posting deals as you get closer to the date. They don't have to. They just about have the market wrapped up. So I'd say don't wait to book .

Edited: 28 June 2014, 20:48
California
Level Contributor
36,413 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

That is Thanksgiving week so don't expect good low rates. Also leaving Kauai on a Saturday (the 29th) you will see even higher airfares. RENT A CAR NOW!!! Use Discount Hawaii Car Rental for good rates.

We have many frequent posters that live in your area and I am sure they can help you with routing.

Jurrassic Park? They filmed a few scenes on Kauai but nothing will be going on in November.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

We fly from Chicago because I only like direct flights. There are none to Kauai but to HNL. Used to be direct flights to Maui but no more, at least on United there is not. I don't think there is only direct to HNL from ORD now. I booked in January for my trip in July. We are going to 3 islands.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

In airline lingo the term "direct" flight doesn't mean non-stop. This is a common misunderstanding. Only non-stop means non-stop. Direct means the flight will make a stop along the way but you stay on the plane. So when I talked about catching a direct flight from ORD to HNL it means with a stop somewhere on the west coast. I believe it may be true that the nonstops from ORD to HNL are no longer available.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

Sorry, there are Non stop flights from ORD to HNL on United. Once a day to and from HNL. I only take Non stops. Sorry for the wrong lingo.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

You also may want to compare with Alaska airlines - get their visa, and you get their annual companion fare, which is a great deal. :)

Camano Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ - Travel agents often use this site to price flights and then you have to go to the specific airline to actually book your flight. Best site I've found for price information on flights. I usually check this site numerous times (15-20) before I book, starting a couple of months prior to departure.

http://www.alaskaair.com/?lid=nav:home (I've recently booked non-stop from SEA to LIH and non-stop return to SEA on Alaska, best price I found for a 2-week trip this fall, $454/each). Hope this helps!

8. Re: WHEN/HOW to book flights to Lihue/Kaua'i

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Lihue