We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

photography tour and restaurants

chicago,il
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
photography tour and restaurants

Visiting Kauai in a couple of weeks... Can't wait.

1. Can anyone recommend a photography tour that takes you to places that only the locals know about.

2. Also, great local non tourist restaurants with great Chinese food?

3. Can anyone advise what's the best boat to take for the Napali Coast Cruise. Do some boats handle the waves better than others?

4. Trying to convince myself to take an aerial tour of Napali would love to do it... but afraid I would get sick . What would have a smoother ride helicopter or plane?

4. Can anyone recommend a hiking trail for beginner's where you can see the Napali coast, and maybe waterfalls ?

A lot of different subjects here I guess, Thanking you in advance.

-

For anyone who's interested I asked Forum before about car rentals, someone gave me advice about acquiring one thru my credit card. GREAT advice I saved a ton.

Thanks

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: photography tour and restaurants

I highly recommend Kauai photo tours. They are an excellent outfit and we had a really good time with them (both times we used them). If you book their regular tour, they will take you to some spots that might not be where only the locals know about, but they are not your more popular places. They do have several tour options, including a private tour, which would be much more personalized, but that comes at a price if only 2 of you.

http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/Kauaitours.htm

Holo Holo is an excellent choice if you want to do the Napali Coast from the North Shore and Captain Andy's is excellent from the South.

California
Level Contributor
38,343 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: photography tour and restaurants

For non touristy Saimin place I highly recommend Hamura Saimin in Lihue.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: photography tour and restaurants

I did the Kauai Photo Tour - the hike option - it was great!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: photography tour and restaurants

I would not focus on Chinese food in Kauai, especially since you are from Chicago, where the Chinese food is excellent. Instead, look at local Hawaiian cuisine which often includes very fresh seafood (fresh fish, shrimp, etc), local food such as "plate lunch," shave ice, poke, etc.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: photography tour and restaurants

My wife, who is prone to motion sickness, hesitantly agreed to a helicopter tour several years ago. She now rates that tour an 11 on a scale of 10, and one of the best paid activities she's done in all of Hawaii.

If we ever do another Na Pali tour, it'll be one of Captain Andy's sailing tours. They're bigger boats, so they handle waves better, and they're not as restrictive as the smaller boats.

I've done the Kauai Photo Tour, hiking option, and enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't consider it again. The lesser known places we went really weren't any better than the more popularly photographed scenes, and there are few places on Kaua'i where you won't find something interesting to photograph.

I agree with Kathryn's advice. There are few restaurants on Kaua'i that don't depend at least some on tourism, and after all, when in Rome..... (you wouldn't seek out great local Chinese restaurants there, would you?)

chicago,il
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: photography tour and restaurants

Thank you for the information on the photo tours, and helicopter information. Thanks for the restaurant tip also..

7. Re: photography tour and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:16