We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental recommendations

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental recommendations

Hello! I was looking for tips on renting a car in Kauai for our vacation in November. We are just 2 adults. What's the best rental car company? We'd like to pick up and drop off at the airport. Do we need an jeep/SUV or is a small car fine to explore the island?

Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental recommendations

Discount Hawaii Car Rental or Costco Travel.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Jeeps are not really necessary but if you want a nice bumpy ride, go for it.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 16:18
San Diego...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental recommendations

I check every morning with both Costco and Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Since the prices change daily you can sometimes save money by rebooking. For our September trip our rental started at $340 for a midsized with DHCR and now I am at $265 for standard with Costco. This is for 11 days.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental recommendations

FYI for anyone coming over soon.

Just checked my reservation for a weekly rental the end of August and Costco has beat my previous rate for $35 and its a larger car. Keep checking is great advice.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental recommendations

Discount Hawaii is showing a Jeep in Nov. for 320.72. ( TOTAL for a week, with all taxes and fees)

I don't have Costco, but that seems like a good rate.

Some show $600.00.

This is with Company #4, which is DOLLAR Rental Car.

A car should be cheaper than a Jeep.

And, you don't need one, as any OFF ROAD is prohibited in rental vehicles.

I understand that any 4WD might be disabled.

There are those who are also concerned about the lack of secured trunk space.

I understand that break-ins and unsecure pull-off parking areas, like on the North Shore could be an issue. (look for current threads on Jeep rentals)

Right now, we do have a Jeep reserved. (Against some of the sage advice here)

Normally we would never do this... But, this is just a 'thing' with me, I guess... I see us touring around the mountains and beaches of Kauai in a jeep. One of those, you gotta do this once, but then BTDT kind of thing. Yes, we will make every effort to never leave any of our stuff visible.... There should be a tiny space behind the back seating. Listings show this as 4 passengers and ONE BAG. Guess it would have to be a small bag!!!!!

Edited: 14 August 2014, 17:23
Madison
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental recommendations

Appreciate the advice and pricing!. We would rather go with something cheaper but when we were in St Thomas we rented a sedan and were kicking ourselves because we had a hard time with some of the hills and poorly paved roads. I've never been to Kauai but was wondering if that was similar there. Does anyone know which company (Avis, dollar etc) is most convenient to get and return car at airport? We won't be getting in til 6-7pm after 16 hr travel so hoping for something quick and easy.

Madison
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental recommendations

Appreciate the advice and pricing!. We would rather go with something cheaper but when we were in St Thomas we rented a sedan and were kicking ourselves because we had a hard time with some of the hills and poorly paved roads. I've never been to Kauai but was wondering if that was similar there. Does anyone know which company (Avis, dollar etc) is most convenient to get and return car at airport? We won't be getting in til 6-7pm after 16 hr travel so hoping for something quick and easy.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental recommendations

Just did a side-by-side comparison between Costco Travel and Discount Hawaiian Car Rental for my husband's trip in October. He usually likes a mid-sized car. In July, Costco was a lot cheaper than DHCR but for October, Costco was more (about $25 for a week rental).

Also, Avis, Dollar, Alamo, Hertz and Budget are all in the same area at the airport, all right next to each other. The shuttle will take you or you can walk (which is what I do as my husband and kids get the luggage).

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental recommendations

Looking again at Discount Hawaii, most have ON AIRPORT facilities.

Thrifty, which is Brand 6, is the one noted as OFF AIRPORT.

About the power and handling.... For about the same cost as a Jeep, looks like you might get a full sized vehicle (not a small economy sedan) which are listed as Nissan Altima or Chrysler 200.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental recommendations

Looks like, in November, you might get a Chrysler 200 from DOLLAR for quite a bit less than a Jeep or larger more luxury car.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental recommendations

Honestly, you do not want too big of a car on Kauai! We were upgraded to an Expedition SUV one year (same car as my Yukon XL at home) and it was a real pain to the park the thing on Kauai! I drive this car at home with no issues but the parking spots and some roads are very narrow on Kauai. Driving out the end of the road at Ke'e was really fun (NOT!). The Chrysler 200 should be fine.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue