We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lihue rental

Chicago
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lihue rental

We are looking for a place to rent on Kauai for 5 days in January that has the amenities of a resort (pool, bars, equipment rental) but that also has a small kitchen or kitchenette.

Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lihue rental

It has to be in Lihue? I guess the only one I would recommend is Marriott Beach Club which are the timeshares associated with this hotel.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lihue rental

Do you mean Lihue proper? Or are you thining the east side in general? Please clarify because Lihue proper is very limited for a resort environment.

Chicago
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lihue rental

Lihue or Poipu......

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lihue rental

Okay. That's a big difference. Lihue is the commercial / industrial / airport area and true resorts are limited to the Marriott that Jebett mentioned. Poipu is more of a tourist area with many more choices of lodging and better weather that time of the year.

Places with the amenities of a resort in Poipu are the Sheraton, Grand Hyatt, Marriott Waiohai ( timeshares but rentals can be found). These 3 are resort hotels. Are you open to condos even though they may not have full resort experience?

Edited: 02 September 2014, 20:22
California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lihue rental

Thats a big difference.

You need a condo, right? Kitchen facility? That is going to limit the choices for all your wants. Marriott has some timeshares in Poipu called Waiohai Beach Club. That's one option but it doesn't have a "bar". Those that have a "bar" are the hotels like Sheraton, Hyatt etc. If you can do without the waitress coming up to you at a pool and you need a condo with beach equipment rentals etc, check out Kiahuna Plantation but book a unit with pool privileges as only some do. The pool is across the street.

Maybe you need to check out Maui. They have more options like what you are looking for otherwise I stand by my recommendation of the timeshares at Lihue Marriott. Weather will be better in Poipu though.

marriott.com/hotels/…

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lihue rental

Great minds type alike, Napaguy!!!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lihue rental

Yep, but I have to point out that the Marriott Waiohai does indeed have a bar. It's poolside , with seating around the bar or separate tables and you will be waited on at the tables too. Same set up as at the Marriott in Lihue.

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lihue rental

I meant bar service that comes to the pool and takes your order. I think you have to drink at the bar, right?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lihue rental

<<I meant bar service that comes to the pool and takes your order. I think you have to drink at the bar, right?>>

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a waitress or two at the Waiohai taking drink and food orders. We usually walk through on our way to the west side of Poipu Beach. Maybe someone who has stayed there can clarify. I will say that these units are very expsensive to rent from either an owner or through the Marriott. I guess I would stay some place else and pour my own drinks. ;)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lihue rental

I think it is as Martik said. There are tables around the poolside oceanfront bar that waiters do take orders at and it's a very fine line between the poolside chaises and those tables. I believe the waiters take drink orders from the chaises also.