We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

British Columbia
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

which of these should I decide on and why - Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort-

or neither - and other suggestions In the same price range

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

I've stayed at both.

Islander pros: inexpensive, nice pool bar

cons: small studios, small pool, poor parking, beds will vary as they are privately owned and so will wear and tear

Kauai Coast:

pros: can rent a room like Islander but they are all the same because they are timeshares and nice amenities like free coffee and even popcorn, even a nice bathroom with good products. You can also rent them as a one bedroom with kitchen and nice views. Great restaurant on site, nice staff (but the concierge will bug you), much nicer pool than Islander, nice hot tub, nicer grounds with fire pits and hammocks,

cons: terrible beach (non existing actually), more expensive than Islander

If budget isn't an issue, Kauai Coast is much better if you must stay in Kapaa. If budget is an issue, Islander is a bargain.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

I assume the kauaii coast you refer to is the kauaii beach resort - has it changed names?

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

Oops....sorry....I WAS referring to Kauai Coast not Beach. I thought you were looking at the two next to each other. Me bad...

Between those two its apples and oranges because Kauai Beach is a hotel unless you rent a "villas". Great pool and nice bar to meet people but only ok rooms (a bit tired). Bad ocean conditions but nice walking on the beach. KBR is off by itself. At least at Islander you can walk to Coconut Marketplace, other restaurants while at KBR you have to drive everywhere. Consider Kauai Coast Resort.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

We were at Islander last week and loved it, especially for the price we paid ($134 for ocean front, senior rate). The place has a very relaxed, laid back vibe. Staff was wonderful. The pool bar area was a great place to relax and meet people every evening. The beach, while not good for swimming, is beautiful and we watched turtles in the waves every day. We never had a problem finding parking and were never bothered by construction noise. We were in rooms 227 and 228 in the Kauai building and we rented directly from hotel. Rooms were fine and beds were very comfortable. The location is great for traveling around the island and it is convenient to be able to walk to the market. As soon as I get a chance I am going to get all of our photos on my computer and post reviews with pics, hopefully this weekend.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

thanks everyone, you confirmed what I thought, Islander seems more central and walking here and there would be a bonus. I guess I should check out the coast - didn't know bout it.

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

What construction is going on at Islander? Last year when my in laws were staying there they were redoing spalling and roofs and it was very annoying to them. Are they still doing that? If you choose Islander you can find some nice ocean view units on Aloha Condos website that are less than what Donna paid, but the front desk won't be quite as friendly and accommodating. Kauai Coast Beachboy, next door, is much nicer but you will pay more. I got a super good last minute on Hotwire (less than $100) but next time I would call the resort directly and try to get a better view unit.

Washington
Level Contributor
528 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

I have stayed at the Islander twice. Both times I rented from a private owner. The condos are small.....fine for 2 people and since we were out most of the day it was ok. We rented units closest to the beach and had a great view.

The last time we went we rented a condo at Kono Pai . Again, from a private owner. It was close to town so there were lots of little shops and restaurants to explore. Iit was a one bedroom so had lots more room . I think I got a better price thru a private owner but the trade-off is not having daily housekeeping and having to,take out our garbage. I've paid between $85-$125 depending on the unit and time of year. I always pay a bit more for ocean front view because that is important to me.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

rorygirl are you talking about Pono Kai?

Washington
Level Contributor
528 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

Ooopppssss...you are right! Pono Kai!😱 a senior moment! Thanks for the correction!!

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Islander on the beach or Kauaii beach resort

IF you decide to check out Pono Kai, this rental agency has some nice updated ones with gorgeous views. (they also have an outdated one straight out of 1980 so choose carefully)

http://www.crhkauai.com

I've dealt with Yen and she is very helpful.