We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

Victoria
1 post
Save Topic
Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

We're going to be in Kauai for New Years eve and are looking for a luau that comes recommended by some fellow travellers :) If you went to one you really liked, can you tell me what made it special ???

Thanks for your advice!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

there are lots of old luau threads. might want to search for them as you'll get many opinions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

Luaus on Kauai

First, it might depend on where you are staying. And how much driving time you want to do.

Second, please be aware that different luau organizations are on different nights of the week. So, that will help you plan by elimination as to your planned sked.

Sheraton: Mon and Wed....Hyatt: Thrs and Sunday...

Smiths: Mon,wed,fri.

some have the imu ceremony, and some do not.

Cost is generally ( adults ) $ 65 or $ 75. Some have an open bar for the entire time, others close of the bar during the entertainment.

You can check with an activity person, or refer to your UKG, and get an idea, and local phone numbers.

Denny

california
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

i do not recommend the smith family luau. the grounds are nice, food is ok and served in an old barn like building... having been to many luaus mostly on maui this is my least favorite of them all. wish i could recommend one but this is the only kauai luau i've been to. highly recommend the blue book "ultimate kauai" for ideas on thinks to do. it's a must to take along. you can't beat it everything i've done that was recommended in tis book was incredilbe, with the exception of the luau.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

Huh! I just attended the Smith's Luau last night and I didn't find anything unpleasant about the experience. I think it would be an exciting way to spend New Year's Eve, except that they don't put on the luau on Sunday evenings. That's too bad, for the show is very moving, entertaining and would be a great way to spend New Year's Eve.

I was at a table with a large party, some from Maui, who thought the Smith's Luau was better than the Old Lahaina Luau. I think it's all in your expectations. If you compare each luau to your first experience, thinking that's how all luaus should be, you'll probably always be disappointed. If you go in knowing that each luau is going to be different and enjoy those differences, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Two in our party were half Hawaiian and two were quarter Hawaiian. When they went back for seconds on poi, the servers brought out the extra large containers. That was a big hit! (Gee -- they could have had mine!)

I'd recommend doing what ever Luau or New Year's Eve party is closest to where you are staying -- or maybe there will be a concert planned. The roads are pretty dark and possibly dangerous on a night where alcohol might play a factor in your (or other's) driving ability. I've spent a few New Year's Eve's here on Kauai and tend to just enjoy the festivities where we are lodging by getting together with others staying in the same building, enjoying the fireworks, etc.

5. Re: Kauai Luau - any recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Lihue