We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hair stylist

Alaska
3 posts
Save Topic
hair stylist

I know this is kind of a different question for this forum but does anyone have any suggestions for a hair stylist or a make up artist in the Poipu area?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hair stylist

Alaska

Erica, and several other ladies like Boston Hair Design and Beauty Supply, in Puhi. They came highly recommended and she took the local advice.

Erica goes to a fellow named Rick, who does a great job, and she is very pleased.

Puhi is just a mile west of Lihue, across from Kauai Community College. Easy to find, as they are on the main road, just a bit past the Puhi signal light.

Will be convenient if you are on the south or south east shores.

Denny

808-241-7575

anywhere
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hair stylist

Alaska, I would use the Grand Hyatt Salon for that type of service. I really do not see a small styling shop doing the make up. The Sheraton may also have one.

Erin

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hair stylist

I've used the Anara Spa at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu, and they have a full service salon for hair and make-up. They have a wedding day package.

kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/pure/spas/index.jsp…

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hair stylist

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Although the Anara Spa at the Hyatt is a great salon -- you are also going to pay great (and I mean GREAT) prices there for the services!

If you are looking for a regular hair salon that has been in business for over 15 years (initially they were at the old Waiohai Hotel before Iniki) -- I would suggest Waiohai Hair Salon in Old Koloa Town -- the owner/stylist, Amy Galante is a very experienced hair stylist and her prices are much more "down to earth" than the 75$ + that you will pay for a simple wash and cut at the Anara.

Her number is (808) 742-9551.

Malama Pono,

Janet

anywhere
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hair stylist

Janet wrote:

the owner/stylist, Amy Galante is a very experienced hair stylist and her prices are much more "down to earth" than the 75$ + that you will pay for a simple wash and cut at the Anara.

Her number is (808) 742-9551.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Janet I believe the original poster also wanted "make up" done. I don't see a "small" salon in Koloa having that type of service as the Hyatt does. I am a true believer in you get what you pay for.

Erin

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hair stylist

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You are right, I neglected to address the "makeup" issue -- I think that if you were wanting both hair styling and makeup that the only other alternative to Anara Spa would be "Medispa" which is directly on Po'ipu Road -- it has:

massage, manicures, pedicures, facials, waxing, microderm, chemical peels, wedding make up and hair, tanning, laser hair removal, non surgical facelifts.

They are located at 3176 Po'ipu Road and are at 742-8500. They are in the building where "Grantham Resorts" is located.

I get the feeling you think I am "bashing" Anara Spa - - I'm not -- I work at the Hyatt after all! But I do have a price list here of what they charge for the various services, and I'm simply giving out an alternative to those very high prices. More power to someone if they can afford them -- Anara Spa is a lovely place! But there are lesser priced alternatives as well in the area.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Alaska
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hair stylist

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it the help!

SanDiego
Level Contributor
33 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hair stylist

Just got the world's MOST EXPENSIVE massage from Poipu MediSpa (mentioned here).

It was a good massage, but not worth the $110 I was charged. My husband made the reservation....he thought it was $85 for an hour, which for a facility that is NOT in a hotel seems steep....Imagine my surprise when my hour (plus the stupid $10 add on for some heating pad thang) was $110! I felt bad for the massuese and added a wee $10 tip.

Heavens. Way too much!

I had a facial wax there 2 days before and it seemed reasonable -- $25.

I HATE it when businesses soak the tourists. AND it is hardly HIGH season. I got the world's most expensive massage on a Monday in early, early November!

kj

PS For comparison, I often get massage in a resort area near Breckenridge Colorado, it is usually $70 for one hour in season!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hair stylist

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The thing about Medi-Spa massages is this: they add on for every little thing -- so when they ask you "would you like ......... or ........?" your next question should be "how much is that?

Their basic massages are fine and the prices are certainly competitive -- but people always seem to say "yes" to everything that is being offered - I'm not sure if they are not disclosing beforehand the prices of any of this -- if they are not, then they certainly should be. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in there - tomorrow.

The only 2 complaints I've ever heard about Medi-Spa are from people who got "add ons" and didn't realize they were being charged for them.

Certainly for over $200 you can get wonderful massages at the Anara Spa in their beautifully appointed rooms -- but you will be paying a lot more - this is just a lower priced alternative.

Malama Pono,

Janet

10. Re: hair stylist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 01:19