We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

oregon
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

My husband and I are traveling to Kauai next May and are trying to decide on the Kiahuna Plantation Unit 179 in Building 33 or Kuhio Shores 316. We are pretty picky so want it to be nice. Has anyone stayed in either of these condos? Is the construction noise as far as the Kuhio Shores? I know the Kuhio doesn't have a pool which is okay since we are more beach goers anyway. Thanks for your help.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

#316 is a gorgeous unit at Kuhio Shores and the view there is wonderful. Your lanai will be very close to the water. There is also an elevator if you don't like stairs. Two good snorkeling areas are on either side of Kuhio Shores and the Beachhouse restaurant is next door. But there is not a lot of beach there.

I don't know the Kiahuna unit you are looking at, but it apparently has a good oceanview if the pics on their website are honest. Many units at Kiahuna have no ocean view at all. The advantage there is that you are on a good beach. Snorkeling may not be great, but more sand and swimming there. I suspect that Kuhio Shores #316 is a little fancier with a more direct ocean view. Kiahuna has a better beach -- depends on what is most important to you.

Also, Kuhio Shores is usually a very quiet, laid-back building -- not usually a lot of kids around. Maybe that is because there is no pool. I'd expect more families with kids at Kiahuna, in general.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,899 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

If you are beachgoers, Kiahuna would be the place for you, IMO. It's on the nicest stretch of swimming beach in Poipu. From building 33 you'd have a 3-4 minute walk up to the sandy beach. It's hard to comapre the 2. They're apples and oranges. Kuhio Shores is a multi-story, one bldg. development directly on the water but not beachfront and no pool. Kiahuna is on 35 acres of lushly landscaped grounds with a number of low-rise (mostly only 2 story), small bldgs. , plantation style architecture and lots of louvered windows for ventilation. Like I said, it's apples and oranges.

But you need to doublecheck on something. My detailed map of Kiahuna shows Unit 179 to be in building 27, not 33. Building 27 is an excellent location and from unit 179 in bldg. 27 I see you would have wonderful view - overlooking the large grassy lawn area with the ocean views too. You should check on the location they're giving you. Either they've quoted the wrong unit number or the wrong bldg. number. Building 33 is units 205-209, all 2-story, 2-bedroom units. Bldg. 27 looks like all 1-bedrooms. In either case, you are far enough removed from any construction noise. If they are still working on the concrete on Kahili Road at that time you may have a 1-minute delay with the flaggers, but that's it. No big deal. By then they may be done with the roadwork.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,899 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

Traveler, if you are truly meaning unit 179 then it definitely is in bldg. 27. (I just did a search on it, see the link below). You'll see the wonderful lawn and ocean views. I'd myself recommend Kiahuna to you, based on your saying you are beach people. There seem to be many fans here of Kuhio Shores and it appears that maybe they have stayed there. I personally have stayed at Kiahuna Plantation and, being a beach person myself, this is where I would choose to stay. Here is the link I found:

http://www.vrbo.com/48715

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

We just returned from Kauai. We did not stay in Kuhio Shores but in a house across the bay on Baby's Beach. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. We LOVED the sound of the ocean and surf. We fell asleep to this every night and it was magical. I had a hard time sleeping at home last night (just flew home yesterday) because it was too quiet! You will also enjoy wonderful sunsets from Kuhio Shores. I spent many afternoons just watching the surfers and paddle boarders in front of Kuhio Shores while the kids played on the beach (Baby's Beach).

If you are looking for a great beach, I agree that the beach in front of Kiahuna Plantation is great. And you'll be centrally located in Poipu and right next to my favorite restaurant (Plantaion Gardens).

California
Level Contributor
37,000 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

I have been in 316 and it is one of the nicest units in that building. I like Kiahuna but it's such a big complex. Also the pool is across the street.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,899 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

I agree that Kiahuna is large. But its size it what gives it the beautiful, lushly tropical landscaped and open grounds. Unit 179 is quite close to the water and directly overlooks the main area of lawn. Like I say, it's apples and oranges. The 2 developments are very different and hard to compare. One has to decide what is more important to them.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you are "beach goers" as you say - I would highly recommend Kiahuna Plantation - you are situated on the usually swimmable Po'ipu Beach which is a long stretch of sand that stretches from Po'ipu Beach Park down to the Sheraton Kaua'i.

I love the architecture of Kiahuna with its plantation style 2-story buildings in white with green trim - lovely mature landscaping and about the only drawback I can think of to this complex is that it has a swimming pool, but you have to go across Po'ipu Road to get to it - but honestly with the beach right there, I wouldn't stress about it.

Kuhio Shores is also in a lovely area - I wouldn't call the building itself lovely, but the views from most of the units is superb as you are right on the ocean - there is a small beach by the Beach House Restaurant next door for swimming or snorkeling in the right conditions - no pool.

Next May I don't know what the construction at Kukui'ula Development will be concentrating on - they have stopped sending out their "neighborhood updates" that used to fill me in - right now they are working on the big shopping mall at Po'ipu and Lawai Roads - on the mauka side of Kuhio Shores and behind Prince Kuhio condos it is all Kukui'ula Development land - they will be doing luxury homes, condos, golf course and hotel - I do not know their schedule so they may or may not be working in that area next spring.

Right now both of these condo complexes are great - I just happen to like Kiahuna Plantation's layout better and enjoy that they are right next door to a wonderful restaurant - Plantation Gardens - as well as easy access across the street to Po'ipu Shopping Village for everything from Starbucks to Puka Dogs (ugh!). It is really apples and oranges, just depends on you as to what is best for you!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

I have stayed at both complexes, and as mentioned in some previous posts, in many ways you're comparing apples and oranges. On a personal level, I prefer Kuhio Shores and recommend it to those who want to be close to the water and who want to hear the ocean at all times. You will hear the ocean waves when you wake up, when you go to bed....etc. At Kiahuna you are on one of the nicest stretches of Poipu Beach. Unfortunately, most units are a bit of a walk to the beach....a beautiful walk nonetheless. If proximity to the water isn't an issue for you, Kiahuna could fit the bill quite nicely. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,899 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

as well as easy access across the street to Po'ipu Shopping Village for everything from Starbucks to Puka Dogs (ugh!).

Let's not forget Keoki's and Roy's!

oregon
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiahuna Plantation 179 or Kuhio Shores 316?

Thanks for all of your input! It was really helpful. I'm leaning toward Kiahuna due to the proximity to the beach. Does anyone have any unit number recommendations? I'd like something that gets light - some of them look a little dark. I'd like to pay no more than $250-$275/nite.