We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

Do the ocean front condos at Kuhio Shores get afternoon sun? Do the lanais get very warm? Thanks, gmhr

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

You will be on the south shore of the island.

The two wings will face roughly east and south.

The sun shines most of the days, as poipu is known as the sunny south shore.

We go to Lawai Beach, which is right there, a few steps from Kuhio Shores. And, I will stroll over to Kuhio Shores, and see if I can spot any honu at PK'S.

We are comfortable, snorkeling and laying out our beach mats up on the Beach House Lawn, overlooking Lawai Beach.

The east wing might be more to your liking. Since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Denny

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

Kuhio Shores is an L-shaped building, with one side facing east (bay) and the other side facing south (ocean). Only the south-facing units receive afternoon sun. The east-facing units obviously receive the morning sun and by early afternoon the sun is no longer facing the unit. My preference is the bay side, as I love waking up to a sunrise and prefer my evenings to be a bit cooler. If you want to see a beautiful sunset, you can walk outside the complex to the Beachhouse restaurant right next door. The east-facing units still have beautiful views too, and you definitely hear the waves crashing all day and night.

California
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

Jam 1961 is correct. It also depends on where you are located in the ocean facing units as some parts of the wall jet out and block more sun. I sat on the lanai of a unit in the middle of an ocean facing unit and the sun was above the building and not blinding me. This is why I like this location especially in the winter. I also like the bay view units because you can see the shoreline and you do indeed hear the waves. You also see the turtles playing in the small bay. Just be aware of the road noise and parking lot close to the lower numbered units. It is a great location and many of the units have been and are being remodeled. The one bedrooms are about 800 sq feet, but with that view you feel like you have the entire ocean in your living room. It is a good choice.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

If we are there in Winter, we stay in an oceanfront unit so we can whale watch. If we are there at other times of the year, we usually pick a bay view unit because of the sun issue and I think that the down coastline view in the morning is so beautiful there.

Orcas Island
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

To refine the above postings some more...

Depending on what time of year you are going the ocean side condos have a little different scenario. In the summer the sun does not touch the lanais or the dining room window because the sun goes over the top of the building. In the winter the sun is at a lower angle and the sun does hit the lanais directly around noon but not in the am or pm becasuse the lanais are recessed and the fin walls give the lanai shade on one end or the other depending on time of day. The units ending in 12 on the 1,2 and 3rd floor and 11 on the 4th floors do not have pm sun and the units ending in 17 on the 1, 2, 3rd floors and 16 on the 4th do not get the am sun. Both of these stacks either get the am or pm sun shining through the water for a very cool effect when they do not have direct sun.

The bottom line is that each condo in the building has its own unique sun and view experience that the occupant will love.

Pilesgrove, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

just returned from our stay in ocean front 415 and the sun and getting too hot were never an issue for the entire week. And we are very used to a/c. The sun does seem to never directly shine into the unit this time of year. Trade winds are the key to keeping it cool. Glad we had them, otherwise I believe it would have been too warm (especially since we needed to keep the bedroom window closed to block out street and hallway noise).

7. Re: Kuhio Shores ocean front condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 00:17