We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

My family is leaving Monday for a week's stay at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu. To say we are excited is an understatement!

However, my husband called yesterday to request adjoining rooms - we have booked two rooms - one for us and one for my husband's mother. The person we spoke to said that we should expect to pay extra for adjoining rooms! We have stayed in many hotels and have often had adjoining rooms and we have never been asked to pay for the privilege!

Is this the sort of gouging we can expect because we are staying at the Hyatt because I have to say it leaves a bad taste and we haven't even arrived yet!

Can someone please tell me if this is normal so that I can adjust my expectations?

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

That makes no sense to me. ASk for a manager when you check in and asked to get the charge waived.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

We had adjoining rooms last week at the Hyatt, and we paid no fee. However, we booked them last January as a guarantee in our package because we needed to baby-sit our 4 yr old GD. We saw no gouging of any fees during our stay. You will be paying a resort fee of $15 a day, that includes free valet parking, newspaper, telephone calls, robes, and use of their gym and tennis courts.

Perhaps the manager had already assigned the rooms, Janet says they do that in advance, and they didn't have your request ahead of time. However, I don't see why they should charge to change that now, unless they were for different category rooms.

I'd check on that when you arrive.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
757 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

Hate to say this but it's definitely becoming more commonplace with resorts. The Grand Wailea on Maui charges $50 per night ($25 for EACH room) for adjoining rooms. Another "nickel and diming" feature of large chain hotels looking for profit centers.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

We've had adjoining rooms in the past and never paid extra. I do know that you really should request this way in advance, though. I asked too late last December and they said it was not possible. They had a Veterinarian Convention there at the same time and they had lots of families with kids. They have a very limited number of adjoining rooms.

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

The post about it being more expensive because it will require a different class of room sounds dead on. If all adjoining rooms in your room class have already been reserved, then it might mean a more expensive room to get that feature. Sad to think that resorts would charge to have the rooms adjoining...doesn't exactly promote a family friendly image.

Vikki

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

Sometimes places charge extra for guaranteed connecting rooms, because it messes up the room block and occasionally you cannot sell a room because a room is guaranteed connecting. I guess this would also hold true for adjoining rooms. The Hyatt should have told you that your husband's request was just that- a request and not guaranteed. I would refute the charge if you were forced to pay.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

I wrote adjoining rooms (which they were), but I meant that as "connecting rooms", with the double doors in the middle of both rooms.

8. Re: Hyatt charging for adjoining rooms - is this normal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 01:20