We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hideaway Cove, Poipu

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Hideaway Cove, Poipu

Hi!

Am in the beginning planning stages of my 5 year anniversary trip next September (yeah, I know I plan WAY ahead) but this trip is a suprise for my husband.

I came across these accomodations online and am ready to book the Coral or Dolphin studio (forget which one). As this is my first trip to Kauai and like my 25th to Hawaii (how sad, first time just now to Kauai), is the location a good one? Says its close to beach, etc.

FYI - the people who own/rent Hideaway are letting me pay along the way so that my husband is not suspicious of outgoing $$$...how nice is that??? That is quite a selling point for me in this day and age.

Thanks to all who reply!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

They recently lowered their rates which make this a very good deal. The accomodations are very luxurious. Although not on the ocean, it's a 1-2 block walk to the ocean and another 1 block walk to Brenneke's Beach. The Beachcomber and the Dolphin are studios. We've stayed in the Beachcomber and the Royal Palm and both are very nice and private. They also have laundry facilities and complimentary detergent. It is air conditioned too which is sometimes hard to find in Kauai.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

freeny,

Thanks for the great reply. I have booked the Dolphin studio for 6 nights then we are off the Maui for 10....don't know how long I can keep the surprise a secret.....

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

Babs, you sound like me. We went to Maui a couple dozen times before we went to Kauai, now I'll never change.

Have a nice Anniversary and if you need any Poipu restaurants tips, just let us know!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

CAnative,

Thanks, I will go ahead and take suggestions...especially because I am not familiar at all with where we are going...

Puka Dog? Brennecke's? Duke's? Maybe some "local" places too...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

I've never had a Puka Dog, but it's not for lack of trying! We are either at the beach or pool at lunch time or visiting the north shore. When we finally get around to stopping at the shopping village in Poipu, they are closed! One of these days!

Our favorite casual place (they are all casual) is Keoki's Paradise in the same village. It's related to Dukes in Lihue (airport town), so try them both. We always go to Keoki's on our first night when checking in, and want something easy and not far from our hotel in Poipu.

Tomkats, is more local in Koloa Town and close by. I still remember the Mahi mahi in crushed Mac nuts!

I'm not a fan of Brennecke's for dinner. We just haven't had good luck there and I'll leave it at that.

We spent our 40th Anniversary at Tidepools at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu this past Aug. The food and service was phenomenal. Try to go there for your 5th, and tell them it's a special occasion. They went out of their way for us.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

I have to agree with CANative. Brennecke's is a lunch spot for pupus and beer.

Tidepools is wonderful and now on our list of favorites. Also, try Plantation Gardens. This is now our favorite place on the island. Keoki's is our traditional first meal on the island, usually for dinner. We like it for lunch as well but the service the last two times was a bit slow (lunch).

Casa di Amici (right next to where you are staying) is OK. Not my favorite but the proximity might make it a good place for you to try. We prefer Cafe Portofino but it's in Lihue and we prefer not driving for dinner.

If you do drive, you must try Kintaro's (Japanese) and Hukilau Lanai, both in Kapaa.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Puka Dog? Brennecke's? Duke's? Maybe some "local" places too..."

I'm afraid that since Po'ipu is pretty much a resort area - there are very few "local" places around here - but 2 that I can recommend to you for lunch would be:

Sueoka Store Snack Shop - this is in Old Koloa Town -it is simply a walk-up window outside this family run grocery store with very inexpensive choices for lunch. No place to eat there, so you'll have to take it for a picnic elsewhere - but always great!

Koloa Fish Market - this is also in Old Koloa town - this favorite spot of local and tourists offers wonderful bento lunches - the "poke bento" is my personal favorite! The line stretches out the door at lunchtime to give you an idea of just how popular it is. Again, no place to eat on premises, but take out only.

Anyplace else is geared pretty much towards the visitor and not the resident - I went to "Puka Dogs" once when they first opened several years ago and haven't been back since - but I do think it is a fun place for folks on vacation - something you'd never do at home you know!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

koloagirl,

Thanks for you indepth reply. I guess because I have never been to Kauai, and am familiar w/my fav haunts on Maui, was looking for more "real" food, not so "chainy" if you will...

I just see everyone talk of Puka Dog...cute website!

Counting the days.....

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

We had our first Puka Dog and all but my husband loved it. I had never heard of it but the rest of the family immediately perked up when they saw the sign in Poipu Village. They said it's been all over the travel channel. My husband said there was too much bread and not enough hot dog. The rest of us loved the bread. FYI: It's a cash only place.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hideaway Cove, Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is a certain show on the Travel Channel called "Hot Dog Paradise" - it is the same program they have been showing for several years now and prominently features - Puka Dogs on Kaua'i!

It seems to be running everytime I turn on the darn Travel Channel! LOL!

Obviously it is still helping Puka Dogs out - I'm sure they are doing well since they opened up fairly recently on O'ahu and were featured there on the "No Reservations - Anthony Bourdain" TV show - also on the Travel Channel!

Publicity - ah, it doesn't hurt!

Malama Pono,

Janet