We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu/Koloa questions

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu/Koloa questions

Hello everyone,

I'm heading back to Kauai after more than 15 years (last time was at Sheraton Poipu). I've stayed at Kiahuna Plantation once as well. Now, I'm going to Kauai with my son/daughter-in-law and a one-year-old and 3-year-old. We'll be staying at Kiahuna Plantation the last 10 days of August this year.

I don't know how much that area may have changed since I've been there.

1. Is there a nice-sized market (not convenience store) where we can get supplies? Is there a supermarket? I'll also look for a Costco and Wal-Mart online to see if there is one in Lihue.

2. At Poipu or Koloa, where may the bargain place be to rent fins and mask to snorkle?

3. Are there any snorkle beaches for basic snorklers close to Poipu (like by Brennecke's at the protected area, or??) We'd probably go to the beach for an hour plus each morning, I'd watch the two little ones while son/DIL snorkle.

4. Here is the last (silly) question--since so many know so much on this site--I love it--do the washers/dryers at Kiahuna Plantation take quarters to operate? I realize I can call to find out, but this is a test!

5. Is the Koloa Broiler still there?

Thank you all so very much for all your information and help.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

1. In Koloa you will find Big Save and Sueoka store, both of which are respectable-sized grocery stores. Costco and Walmart are both in Lihue.

2. I always take my friends to get gear at Snorkel Bob's, which is on Poipu Road in Koloa. Unless you take the bypass road, you will pass it on your way to Kiahuna. You can also try Boss Frog's at Lawai Beach or the dive shop at the Sheraton.

3. You can snorkel at Poipu Beach Park (not Brennecke's beach!) or at Lawai Beach. Conditions will probably be favorable that time of the year up in the North Shore, and would be worth your time to check out.

and I don't know the answer to number 4.

5. I don't know the Koloa Broiler, but there is the Poipu Beach Broiler?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

Not much has changed in the last 15 years except more clean up from Iniki. The grocery stores that were in Poipu and Koloa are still there. The Costco in Lihue is new. You'll see some new construction going in around Poipu. The Waiohai is now a timeshare and the Poipu Beach Hotel is reopened under the name "Koa Kea". There is also a by-pass from just north of Koloa to Poipu Kai. Not sure how long that has been there.

Koloa Broiler is now a pizza joint. Forget the name and we have never been.

And this is new to me. Kiahuna Plantation condos have an "on-site" laundry facility and not one in the unit? For the price you pay for these units, I guess I assumed they each had their own washer and dryer. I prefer places where I can do laundry in my own condo or rental. So I guess I cannot answer the question about coin-op or not.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

I last stayed at Kiahuna in 1996, and from what I recall (in answer to #4), there was no charge to use the washers or dryers in the laundry room. I do know that at Kuhio Shores the community laundry rooms do charge and require quarters for both washers and dryers. My "guess" is that you'll probably need quarters. I would either call to find out for sure or just be prepared.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

I kind of miss the old Koloa Broiler with cats running around everywhere. The pizza joint martik mentioned is Pizzetta. They have OK pizza, but I find the place loud and the service indifferent.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Sorry if some of these questions have already been answered - I'll forge ahead anywho and hope that any part of it helps the OP out!

I live in the Po'ipu area, right on Po'ipu Rd. in fact for 11+ years now - have visited for many years prior - over that time have seen MANY changes in this little area for certain!

"1. Is there a nice-sized market (not convenience store) where we can get supplies? Is there a supermarket? I'll also look for a Costco and Wal-Mart online to see if there is one in Lihue."

There are two family-owned grocery stores that I highly recommend in the area - Kukui'ula Market is just up the street from Kiahuna Plantation - Terri, the owner stocks tons of local organic produce and specialty items as well as the basics - wonderful breakfast bentos as well. A great, family-owned spot and the closest to Kiahuna.

It is located across from the fire station.

Sueoka Store in Old Koloa Town - this multi generational store has been in the Sueoka family since the early 1900's - fantastic place, can't get more local than this - wonderful fresh fish, poke, and the best boiled edamame (soybeans) around IMO. Full grocery store - wonderful people, wonderful family. Also outside is the Sueoka Snack Shop - a walk-up window with very inexpensive breakfasts and lunches - now open on Sundays also.

Big Save Market is more of a company owned supermarket type store - it is in Old Koloa Town and located by the bank - it has a Subway, sushi and all the bells and whistles.

2. At Poipu or Koloa, where may the bargain place be to rent fins and mask to snorkle?

"Snorkel Bob's is right across from the Koloa Library on Po'ipu Rd. - about 5 minutes away from you - very popular.

3. Are there any snorkle beaches for basic snorklers close to Poipu (like by Brennecke's at the protected area, or??) We'd probably go to the beach for an hour plus each morning, I'd watch the two little ones while son/DIL snorkle.

****Always check ocean conditions daily, but usually the Po'ipu Beach area adjacent to the keiki pool is popular for snorkeling and is generally recommended for "basic snorkeling" as far as I am aware.

4. Here is the last (silly) question--since so many know so much on this site--I love it--do the washers/dryers at Kiahuna Plantation take quarters to operate? I realize I can call to find out, but this is a test!

+++++++Can't help you with this one!!

5. Is the Koloa Broiler still there?

A'ole - no - it is now Pizzetta and has pizza, salads, calzone, etc. as well as a bar. Koloa Broiler along with the Koloa Ice House has been gone many moons I'm afraid - it is much missed!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

It will feel like you never left, in a good way.

Big Save in Koloa remodeled a few years back and now has lots of good things, including Subway and a sushi chef. Pizetta in Koloa is not any good, neither is Poipu Broiler, and if you remember Taqueriya Nortenyos [sp. murder here), that one is also gone.

You could rent snorkel gear and any other beach aids (chairs, umbrella for the little ones) at Nukumoi Surf store right next to Brenneke's Restaurant and owned (or at least used to be) by the same people.

BTW, last time we ate at Brenneke's, it was not any good either, but we are really hard to please. We end up fixing our own meals just not to be disappointed by lousy food at high prices, but others are lots easier to please..

Anna

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Pizetta in Koloa is not any good, neither is Poipu Broiler, and if you remember Taqueriya Nortenyos [sp. murder here), that one is also gone."

Everyone's tastes vary - so I'll have to disagree with the above poster - I have found that Pizzetta is somewhat uneven in their quality - sometimes it is fantastic, sometimes not so much, but I love their salads and their cheese pizza also.

Po'ipu Broiler is down by Po'ipu Kai - I know it has a very popular happy hour, but I don't know about their food - I did eat there and was very happy with it, but that was several years ago.

Taqueria Nortenos is indeed gone and another fast food place is in its place - the prices are pretty high for basic fare, so I haven't patronized them yet I'm afraid. I dearly loved "The Crack" and miss it big time - we ate there like twice a week the first few years we lived here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

P.S. - One caveat - I am not a "foodie" so my food critiques will probably be much kinder than most! lol

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

Hi Jane!

I'll have a go at #4!

As of Dec, according to my DH, they do take quarters - lots of them!! Sad to say, he was fairly emphatic on the "lots".

Kiahuna is still the Grand Dame she always was - you will love it!

Kauai
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

#3:

There are some good tips for snorkeling on this page including a list of good environmental practices:

summitpacificinc.com/KauaiActivities/snorkel…

10. Re: Poipu/Koloa questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 05:21