We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

colorado springs
8 posts
Save Topic
Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

My husband and I are looking at booking a unit in the Poipu Kapili for January 2010. We have read about disturbing construction noise and heavy traffic in front of the complex back in 08. Can anyone who has been there recently share an update on the construction and traffic there? Does anybody have suggestions for a better complex? We have two little kids as well.

Thanks!

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

I would not be concerned about the small road in front of the complex. I think it was bad when the cars were being diverted when the main road was under construction. There are more walkers than cars on the road.

As for the construction you may need a crystal ball to know if that will be an issue in 2010.

We did stay there in 2007 durning the blasting also in 2008 while the cranes were in full force and we were never bothered and all was pretty peaceful. Being oceanfront is key as the waves drown out any noise. We also played tennis there this year and all was quiet. But the the construction is directly in back of it in 2010 that could be an issue.

The only other place we stay is The Kiahuna Plantation...It is a lovely beachfront resort and very kid friendly. Getting an updated unit is key there.

I am sure others will chime in on other resorts.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

My husband stayed in Waikomo Streams Villas the last two weeks in March on business. They are located next to the construction at Koloa Landing. Poipu Kapili is in front of Koloa Landing. He said that he heard a lot of construction noise from where he was staying. It definitely took away from the ambience of the complex. Poipu Kapili is closer to the ocean and if you get a unit closer to the front of the complex, you should be fine.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Koloa Landing Development is the only large construction project going on now here in the Po'ipu area - it is indeed active and here is a map to show you locations:

http://www.koloalanding.com/master_plan.html

Po'ipu Kapili is in the lower right-hand section that is somewhat "cut out" of the map - Waikomo Stream Villas is in the upper left side of the map just behind Buildings 2 and 3.

The buildings that are actively going up now are #1, #2 and #3 - those are the ones you can see as giant skeletons from the area. This is daily construction work (except I'd guess on Sundays).

I'm sure it depends on where you stay within Po'ipu Kapili as to what kind of noise factor you are going to have from this project, if any - the ones closer to the back of the property are the ones that are obviously closest to the construction. I'd check with your rental agent on the exact location of any unit there to the construction.

As for the road - nothing going on at all - Po'ipu Rd.'s improvement work was completed long ago and there is no need for concern. Ho'onani Rd. as well -no issues there.

I'd try to stay anywhere off Ho'onani Rd. - as this huge project backs up to every property on it.

Lots of places to choose from around the area but away from the construction:

Kiahuna Plantation is wonderful and has Po'ipu Beach right in front of it,

Sheraton Kaua'i is a hotel, but very family oriented and again, right on Po'ipu Beach. On the east end of the Po'ipu area you have places such as Nihi Kai

Villas, Po'ipu Kai, Sunset Kahili, Po'ipu Palms - all within very easy walking distance to Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park.

Just some suggestions!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Washington DC
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

Is the large shopping center near the turning circle open for business yet?

California
Level Contributor
38,025 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

No!

There's a thread about this from yesterday.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k29057…

6. Re: Construction distrubance at Poipu Kapili 2009?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 07:25