We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

Just got back from Kauai in July a warning to people staying at these properties on baby beach. The first night we were there the property known as Hale Ohana was burglarized and they stole the couples purse and wallet. Whoever it was walked right in the slider while they slept and stole what ever was sitting out on the counter. They had no driver's license -- nothing.

A few days later the house called Hale Kai was burglarized and again the same thing, they took there purse and wallets and again they had no driver's license---nothing. After the first night we slept with everything locked and closed up. You have no idea what it was like to not be able to keep your windows and doors open to get those amazing trade winds. When you retire take everything out of sight. My husband and I took everything to the bedroom that we slept in. We all kept warning new arrivees to be careful. There are warnings upon entry to lock when you leave, which of course we all did. There are warnings to use the safe for your valuables. But obviously there is a problem when you cannot retire to bed without having to lock down the entire house. There is no air conditioning in any of these houses. Also keep the porch lights on the Lanai when going to bed. There were a number of us that did this so it wasn't so dark.... I just wanted people to be aware of the problem they are having in the area Thanks

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

WOW!! We've been staying in these homes on Baby's Beach for years (stayed at Hale Moana, Hale Kai, Hale Ohe, Stonehouse and Hale Nai'a). We've never had a problem in this area for the past 11 years. Poipu Kai area had some recent problems as well. We stayed on Baby's Beach in June 2008 for over two weeks, not a problem. I can only guess that this is another sign of the poor economy.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

I was shocked I loved the entire area. Hale Ohana and Hale Kai both were hit within two days of each other. The police started drivebys after Hale Kai was hit. Then another house was attempted, but a woman woke up and he jumped from a balcony. The police had actually told us all to start leaving the Lanai lights on. So we did. It was hard to go to bed with all the windows and the shades all drawn.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

What a shame. Sounds like these losers are getting bolder.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

<<Then another house was attempted, but a woman woke up and he jumped from a balcony.>>

Kristin,

Can you tell me what house it was? The house we rent has a big wall and I think the houses that were hit are more easisly accesable from the beach. But this is all new this year.

Marti

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

Marti,

The cop didn't say which house it was unfortunately.

They just said he jumped from a balcony. I see you live in Moorpark I live in Newbury Park. Jim the guy that was staying in Hale Ohana lives in Ventura. He kept searching the bushes in the hopes that they would have dumped his wallet or his wifes purse.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I just want to clarify - the homes you are referring to as being on "Baby Beach" - this is the baby Beach on Ho'one Road here in the Po'ipu area, right, not the one on Moanakai Rd. in Kapa'a?

I'm surprised, I have asked around to folks I know who live around the Ho'onani Rd. area - and no one has heard of any burglaries taking place recently.

I live on Po'ipu Rd., up about a mile from where you are talking about - but it isn't in the "resort area" and the homes/condos around here are all owner occupied, so that might be one factor why we haven't seen any problems.

I know that our occupancy levels are at a new low as is our unemployment - so it doesn't surprise me that we are now seeing more of this type of activity unfortunately. A sad statement of our times indeed!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

Whaler's was getting hit again recently.

The worst break-in that I heard of was at a ground floor unit at Whaler's back in Feb. There was an elderly couple staying in the unit and they were watching TV in the living room. While watching TV, a burglar ran into the unit, in plain site, stole the couple's wallets, which were on a table, and ran out. At first the elderly couple thought it was just a drunk guest, but then quickly realized what happened. That's VERY ballsy...

Anyways, I don't leave belongings out in plain sight in my house and I wouldn't encourage a visitor to do that either.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

I did notice a large increase in security at the Kiahuna last year. We stayed on a ground level unit and were alerted of the increase of crime. We used our saftey deposit box and always closed our louvered doors when we left for the day. I am very sorry for the people who were burglarized. Thanks for the alert.

We will be extra careful this year as we are renting another ground floor unit.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

<<this is the baby Beach on Ho'one Road here in the Po'ipu area, right>>

Yes. These are the homes on the large lawn area just north and east of the beach. You enter Hale Ohana from Maulili Road and the Hale Kai is on Hoona Road. This area is very close to Whaler's Cove.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hale Moana & Hale Kai on baby beach

Kristin,

Well, we are not used this kind of thing. Our little area of Ventura county is pretty quiet though I still lock everything up, especially during the summer when the teenagers get bored. We lived in Long Beach during the riots before we moved to Moorpark so we are still very careful, even on Kauai. Sorry this happened to you guys; the area on Baby's Beach is normally very quiet and free of crime. In 20 years we've been traveling to Poipu, we've only heard of these rash of break-ins and burgularies this past year. I hope this does not ruin Jim's vacation.

Marti