We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

We are looking to book a ocean front condo at the Kiahuna and have the options to choose from units 14, 15, 17, 19, 22, or 179. I was able to see pictures of unit 17 and 179 and was wondering if anybody has stayed in any of the other units I mentioned. It seems like all of them would have a good view. I just want to avoid a dated unit so we're looking for one that has been recently updated.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

The units you mention are set way way back.... 14,15,17,19,22..Not familiar with Building 179?? There are many fans to be had of Kiahuna...but for my money..NO A/C... Smallish layouts , low ceilings.....alot of dated non-refurbished.... for the money...you can do better. It is on a lovely beach..which is a plus.. The roosters and road noise are a concern for the units you mentioned. The pool is all the way across the road and then some.

For a first class accomodation ..check out Poipu Kapili...with a spectacular view..near the beach Oceanside pool..etc... some with A/C.

None of the units you mention are even remotely Oceanfront.

179 ??

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

Here is a map of Kiahuna. I checked out 186 and it's in a nice location, close to the beach.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/kiahuna_sitepl…

Do you know what buildings these units are in?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

Those are unit numbers, not building numbers.

The ocean front units at Kiahuna are really beautiful and I would not hesitate to rent any of them. The Ocean Front units have ALL been totally redone at the very earliest in 1994. Those buildings were all completely gutted after Hurricane Iniki in 1992. Most have had some updating since then. 179 and 22 are actually ocean view, not ocean front but I'm sure they were renavated after the hurricane. Unit 14 is a ground floor unit. 15,17 and 19 are on the 2nd floor. The view would be better but you will have to walk up the stairs. The best views will be from units 19 and 17.

The trade winds are more than sufficient to keep the near water units cool.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

As for Wanderlust'c comments about road noise and roosters -- That is not true. The units you have indicated are all very far from the road. Most of the rooster noise is across the road so those units would get very little of that. Kiahuna has done a pretty good job of shooing roosters away. However, a few roosters only give you a feel for the island and there is no property that is immune from roosters. Even the Hyatt has roosters on its grounds.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

I apologize for the inaccurancy of my comments... I see now the OP does mention "Units" not buildings, as I had originally thought.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

I agree with LSCats about units 17 and 19 having the better ocean views. 19 is an end unit and would provide better cross ventalation and light. 179 is in a very peaceful setting but IMO the views are better from building 4. I would ask the owners for recent pictures and ask when it was last updated. We have always found the owners at Kiahuna to be very helpful and honest. Good luck....I am sure you will love the kiahuna.

22 in building 5 will also have great ocean views. It is in between 2 2 bedroom condo's noise would only be an issue if there were a group or noisy family on both sides, but I have always found kiahuna to be very quiet and does not attract rowdy guests.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

Seems to me that lscats knows his/her stuff, having been a Kiahuna owner for many years past.

I've stayed at Kiahuna a couple of times. Yes, the one-bedrooms are slightly, just slightly smaller than an average one-bedroom. The two-bedrooms on the upside are larger than average. In any case I never felt closed in , or cramped, or that the ceilings are low, as described previously. I also never felt the need for AC as we seemed to have plenty of breezes blowing through, especially if you have an end unit, which would be my suggestion.

I also never had a unit that was outdated in decor. Each and every unit we had was certainly nice enough. Remember that all are individually-owned. While some may have all the bells-and-whistles and the most recent furniture, they ALL have to still meet the standards of the rental pool. I don't think the prevalence of outdated decor is any greater at Kiahuna than at any other condo complex. In fact, I'd bet it's above average because of the reputation that Kiahuna manages to maintain. My experience is the rooster problem is less at Kiahuna than at most other places.

What you're really paying for is the beach and the beautiful grounds at Kiahuna. It pays to not look so closely at the units per se. We aren't buying them after all. The grounds and beach round out the entire package and make the $$ well worth the money, IMO.

You really can't go wrong with any of those units. And, as lscats pointed out, those are unit numbers, not building numbers. The oceanfront units tend to be more upscale in decor and money put into them.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

I don't really have anything to add, except to say that You have received excellent advise here, particularly from LScats. We have lacked having a Kiahuna owner (former) posting and I very much appreciate that he/she is helping people on the forum! Everything LS has posted certainly agrees completely with our experience as visitors over the years.

The ocean front units are of incredible value at Kiahuna! If possible, do pick an end unit - we really appreciate the extra window in the kitchen and bedroom that you get. And you bet, upper levels have the best views. But, if you like the idea of walking off your lanai and onto the grounds, by all means go for a ground unit.

We, too, have had excellent experiences with owners there. Just be sure to ask lots of questions and be comfortable with your choice. 179 is in a lovely spot; if you like the unit, don't discount it.

I have no doubt that you are going to love your time at Kiahuna. Good luck with your choices!

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

I've stayed in 179 several times and have always loved that location. It's very quiet and close to the beach. The lanai is nice a shady in the afternoon. The owners take very good care of the unit as well. If someone is sleeping on the sofa bed ask housekeeping for some egg crate pads to make more comfy.

Houston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on which Kiahuna Plantation Condo

thanks for all the great advice! im getting a rate of $189 a night for the kiahuna. should i be looking at other properties for an ocean view room?