We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island first?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Which island first?

My husband and I are planning a trip in July and are planning to go to Kauai for 4 nights and Maui for 7 nights. I was wondering which island I should start at? Also, I am planning on staying at the Hyatt in Maui for a few days and the Four Seasons in Maui for a few days. I'm having trouble deciding on a place in Kauai. Any suggestions?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island first?

Where you stay on Kaua`i depends on how upscale you want to go. The new St. Regis on the north shore should compare favorably to the Four Seasons. The Hyatt in Po`ipu is a lovely property that I think you'd like.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island first?

I think the St. Regis may be a little out of our budget range. We are king of splurging on the Four Seasons so I have to keep costs down in Kauai. I was thinking about the Hyatt. It does look beautiful. I'm just concerned because the beach in front they say is not swimmable. Are there nearby beaches that are only a few minutes drive?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island first?

Po`ipu Beach is just a few minutes' drive away, and Lawai Beach (for snorkeling, mostly) is just a few minutes more. Other than that, the best swimming in summer will be north shore, or Lydgate on the east side.

Would you consider a nice condo? Hanalei Bay Resort is lovely and is close to good swimming beaches.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island first?

Aloha,

If you are going to do a lot of touring while you're in Maui, you might want to do it first. Then you could kick back more on Kauai.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island first?

The Hyatt is very nice, but if I were going to Kauai in the summer I'd want to stay in its most gorgeous area, the north. Legend has it that the alii (Hawaiian royalty) spent winters at Poipu and summers at Princeville.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,458 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island first?

I would visit the island of Maui first and I would stay on the Northshore of Kauai in July. :)

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island first?

Well ~ I think it would depend on what you want to do. If you like night life, like running around more and doing the tourist stuff ~ it might be good to go to Maui first, and then chill on Kauai. But then you might want to go to Kauai first to detox from the mainland, and then be super excited to finally get to where the action is on Maui!

I love both islands. Kauai to relax, Maui to play.

If I was going in the summer, I would stay up north in Hanalei.

jc

8. Re: Which island first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 06:20