We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Poipu

Mission Viejo, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Poipu

Hi Everyone!

Well I am planning my honeymoon and have been interested in going back to Kauai, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed looking at all the different rental options and was looking for some reccomendations. We are on a pretty limited budget and so need to not spend more than $150.00/night. We are planning on staying a week, and need to have a kitchen so that we can cook. I did look at The Parrish Collection Kauai, and for Poipu 99% of their listing in our price range are for the Waikomo Streams Villas. How are they? Due to the date of the posts (searching the forum) I am unsure whether or not there is construction? There were also two Nihi Hai Villas listed that seemed pretty nice. Lastly I found this listing I was intereseted in, has anyone stayed here?

http://www.vrbo.com/42451#photos

Thanks for the help!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

I stayed at Nihi Kai and I loved it! Can't wait to stay there again. If you call Parrish directly (I believe they have a 800 # there are better rates. You didn't say when your honeymoon is, but if it is soon you would be surprised at how the prices differ from what is actually listed.

California
Level Contributor
36,452 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

When's the big day? Waikomo Stream does have a huge construction project behind it.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Unless you are one of the folks who truly doesn't spend any time at your condo and doesn't care about what is going on around their place (and if you are, then Waikomo Stream Villas is a great bargain!) - do avoid it ... there is a 25 acre luxury condo development in full swing right next to it - the only daily active construction project that I know of in the area.

Nihi Kai Villas are very nice and have a fabulous location right by Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park - and far away from construction.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

If you can snag one of the very few 1-bedrooms at Nihi Kai go for it (looks like only 2 or 3 of them). They're few and far between there. The vast majority are 2 bedroom or up. Looks like a good price for the 1-bedrooms also. Call them directly to get the discounted price.

At Nihi Kai or Waikomo you'll have a nice pool whereas you wouldn't at the private rental. The Nihi Kai units are in bldg. 8 which has a decent oceanview. You won't have that view at Waikomno and you're chancing construction noise. I'm in Makanui condos right now which are just a stones throw from Nihi Kai. Location of both is great. But I'm biased.

On private rentals such as VRBO - be careful. The names and descriptions usually can make them sound like that tropical and serene nirvana. Oftentimes it's a lower level or somehow attached space in the owner's home that they've figured they convert to a "cottage" , give it a quaint name, and cash in. I'm not familiar with that vrbo listing building but I'm here now and I'll try to take a walk past it , check it out, and report back.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

I would look at Kiahuna Plantation & Poipu Kapili. It is a much nicer end of Poipu in my mind, walking distance to great restaurants and the beach is great too.

At Poipu Kapili, you can get a one bedroom in that $150 range. Even if it is a bit higher, say $175, call and see if they have any flexibilty. The property is great.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

You can come close to your budget at Kuhio Shores for a bayside one bedroom unit. Every condo has a great view there and a decent snorkeling beach closeby. You might also take a look at the Prince Kuhio across the street. They have some very nice newly remodeled one bedrooms and studios with full kitchens and many units have an oceanview lanai. You can get a good unit there for about $800 per week.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

I second the recommendation for Kiahuna Plantation

(Book through OUtrigger not Parrish for the best selection of units)

outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/hawaiian-island… Castle is also an agent for many units at Kiahuna but I would not recommend them unless you could get an outstanding deal as their housekeeping standards and customer service are not up to Outrigger's.

I also like Poipu Kapilli but the prices are a bit higher.

Nihi Kai is also a good option.

I spent a lot of time in a friend's condo at Waikomo Stream Villas and frankly, I wouldn't pay to stay there. It has a very dated feel. Besides that,

the construction noise and dust make it most unappealing at this time.

Another problem I had a Waikomo Stream Villas is that because many of the units are occupied by their owners full time, the Hawaii no-smoking rules for hotels and rental condos do not apply to all of the units. Smoke would drift up into my friends unit and cause me great discomfort. Parrish is the primary agent at WSV so that is probably why you are seeing several units from that property on their web site.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

I stayed at the Kiahuna Plantation for my honeymoon in August and it was fantastic... I think I paid $179/night, but I rented through vrbo.

Mission Viejo, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

Wow everybody! Thank you so much for your responses!! I appreciate the help and will update when I do book something. :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I second the idea to look at Kiahuna Plantation - it is a lovely complex of plantation-style condos in a beautiful garden setting - some units are right on Po'ipu Beach - others access the beach very closeby with the pathways that wind thru this lovely property.

Po'ipu Kapili is a lovely property - but it backs directly up to the same construction that Waikomo Stream Villas has next door - so while some units probably wouldn't have any noise factor - some that are placed closer to the back might get the construction noise also - if you look into this property, make sure you ask about the proximity of the unit to the construction.

I love Kiahuna - probably would be my first choice of the ones mentioned. It has a pool, but it is across the street - the only downside for some folks, but with the ocean and beach right there - I can't imagine it would be a big factor!

Malama Pono,

Janet