We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The other night we checked out Dude Dogs at Kukui'ula Shopping Village on the way home from the Hyatt - they are open and have a very large selection of hot dogs (they haven't gotten in their veggie dogs yet tho' - next week she said!) with a huge condiment bar.

Ended up grabbing a Boca burger from Bubba's....but this is another option for folks in the area - most hot dogs were just under $4.00 - not a bad price for a resort area and much less expensive than the revered "Puka Dogs" - no, I know they don't have a bun with a puka in it though - LOL!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

Janet...Aloha ,

What about the TACO REPUBLIC......that was supposed to be opening at Kukui'ula Shopping Center....any more updates on that.

It seems like the proposed opening date should be coming up soon.

Just the name alone sounds like a fun place.

Mahalo,

Denny

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Nope, nothing new in the way of eating spots at Kukui'ula Village other than what I've reported on: Bubba's, Dude Dogs, and the "fine dining" upstairs area of Merriman's - there is still a "Lappert's" sign up, but no opening and no sign of "Taco Republic" yet either. Also, the "tapas bar" area of

Jean-Marie Josselin's restaurant has a sign up - but likewise, no sign of opening!

P.S. - hope you guys had good fun on the Big Island!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

Thanks for the update, Koloagirl.

Once again, I'm glad to see the growth of more budget places to eat at in Poipu. Eating in gets old every night but the handful of typical expensive Poipu places does too.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

I think you mean Tortilla Revolution Denny. And they've made nil progress from what I could see.

From what I saw tonight there are 3 stores about to open -- Sunglass Hut, a small jewelry store and a surf/clothing store. I'd say they'll all be open before the end of the month of October.

Now that the Kukuiula crew is done with Merrimans, the story is they're moving up to do the organic grocery/cafe next. Then Josselins Cafe and Tortilla Revolution. I could not detect any progress on any of those 3 stores in the past month.

The rest of the place looks just like it did a month ago (with the exception of the hot dog spot actually serving). Several dead empty spaces with "Opening September" signs still on them. Guess they mean 2010. I'd estimate they have at most half the space rented and much of that will not open much before year end unless they really pick up the pace. Still, one shop owner I spoke too said her first month was pretty good and she was happy with traffic.

They really need some sort of bar to cool your heels. I had an hour to kill and after 20 minutes I just spent the rest of the time walking in circles to try to justify dessert. Merriman's downstairs cafe might fit that bill but they look 2-3 weeks away.

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

We ate at Dude Dogs when we there in September. I am not usually a hot dog eater but after trying Puka Dog and being somewhat dissapointed we gave Dude Dogs a try and we give it 2 paws up! Reasonable prices and some creative hotdogs.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

I'm glad to see Dude Dog's and look forawrd to trying one. I still miss that little place next to the Hawaiian Trading Post near Kalaheo for my dog fix. Mustard's Last Stand?? or something like that.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes indeed - "Mustard's Last Stand" - also known for their extensive condiment bar!!

Wow - they've been gone for a long time now!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

<<Mustard's Last Stand?? or something like that.>>

WOW now that brings back memories! Surf Board tables! - do the peacocks still run around there?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

I stopped in there in January for a minute -- didn't see any peacocks.

kalaheo
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Dude Dogs also open at Kukui'ula Shopping Village

we went to dude dogs, the other day.. I felt that they were making our food with dirty hands..the girl kept touching, things and than working on our meal. I was gross. we wont be going back..