We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

Hi

I am wanting to rent a car for a week on Kauai, and also a car for 9 days on Maui. I am getting quotes cheaper for the 9 days on Maui, than the 7 days on Kauai. Is this typical of the cost for rental cars on Kauai, or should I be doing more research?

Thanks,

Bellini

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

Funny - I just plugged in some random dates for a full week, and Kauai came out much cheaper than Maui . . . I could get a car for $13.95 on Kauai and Maui the cheapest was $35. Maybe it depends on your dates as well as the length you are keeping the car. I know a full week is always cheaper than 5 or 6 days. I was looking on hotwire. I wish the car rental game was a bit easier - good luck! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

Look for coupon codes. My rental on Kauai was cheaper than on Oahu. It came out to be $47 total for 3 days on Kauai. $22 a day on Oahu.

US
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

This sounds a very good deal. Where can I find the coupon codes? Also, could you please let me know which website you used? The one I located recently is much more expensive than yours. Thanks!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

If you happen to be a Costco member, use their coupon codes. If not, check out summitpacificinc.com/hawaii-car-rental.html.… Priceline...we got a great deal a week out but we also booked with Dollar which was the best we could find prior to the Priceline deal.

US
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

Great! Thanks SO MUCH for the information. It seems the holiday car rental is more expensive than non-holiday season, which seems reasonable.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

I was fortunate to find a deal posted on here for the Alamo weekend deal.. it was $10 a day for compact (Chevy Cobalt), and I found other codes as well for Alamo. They were pretty convenient and helpful on Kauai. The person at the counter told us that our deal was better than the deals she could get... and she's the employee! :)

And I would also check Priceline and Costco for special promos.

NoVA
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

I pricelined an economy car for $10 a day for 7 days. Turned out to be cheaper than my home airport parking!

US
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

This is a very good deal! This is not for Chrismas trip, right? The car rental is generally more expensive during holidays.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

Kauai was more expensive for us than Maui for car rentals.

go to Priceline.com and make a bid. Low ball them and wait.. Priceline will respond and suggest a price, but ignore that and see if they except your bid. If they reject you bid, wait the required time and bid again.

I think we spent $32 for a Ford Explorer (need an SUV - 2 couples). But I did talk to a couple that got a car for $20 a day.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Car Rentals more expensive on Kauai?

Hi

The cheapest I have been able to find is with discount hawaii car rentals. For 1 week in March, I got a compact for $194.00 including taxes. The base rate was $140 for the week. I received the confirmation through AVIS.

For the 9 days on Maui, I got the same base rate ( compact ) for 7 days, $140 + the 2 days extra calculated at a daily rate of $27, bringing the total with taxes to $266. Again, through AVIS.

I will keep checking the rates. So many of you book through Dollar, and everytime I try Dollar, its much more expensive. I guess I need the right codes.

Bellini