We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott vs Hyatt

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Marriott vs Hyatt

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary in September. Staying at Kauai for four nights. I can't make up my mind between Hyatt and Marriott. I keep switching. We love love the beach and will want to spend as much time as we can on the beach when we are not sight seeing. I see they both are getting good reviews but I also understand Hyatt going under renovation now and the Marriott is just finishing up. Suggestions

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

Are you referring to the Marriott Waiohai or the Kauai Marriott in Lihue? I'm thinking you mean the one in Poipu.....

The Hyatt is a very special place....especially to celebrate an Anniversary.

Poipu beach is a short car ride away.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

Our travel agent has listed Marriott Kauai (close to the airport), does this make a difference? I heard Hyatt is being renovated and kinda run down??

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

IMO The Hyatt is the nicer hotel. Marriott is fine but I am not thrilled with the bay. The grounds and pool of The Hyatt is what makes it so special. The rooms are OK thought I heard they are redoing them.

Since you are going in Sept I would think about the St Regis on the North Shore. That is even nicer.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

Is there a swimmable beach by St. Regis?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

<<I heard Hyatt is being renovated and kinda run down??>>

Not true. They may be fixing up a few areas (did not see anything last time we were there) but it has never affected us. The Hyatt is a wonderful propery and we love it there.

You can also check out the new Koa Kea. It is on a fabulous beach in Poipu. http://www.koakea.com/

St. Regis is also a great choice for September.

Edited: 01 January 2010, 20:30
California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

Puu Poa Beach is at The St Regis. Though it is far from being my favorite beach(spots are rocky) it is swimmable which the beach at The Hyatt is not. During Sept the beaches on the North Shore are still the place to go. You are 10-20 minutes to the top spots on the island.

The Hyatt is probably getting "tired". I still say it is a wonderful choice for a large hotel on the island. Koa Kea is a brand new ( redone) smaller hotel on Poipu Beach which is getting rave reviews.

If I had my choice of hotels it would be Hyatt, Koa Kea or St Regis with the last being the most expensive but has the fabulous views. Read the reviews as some people have been disappointed. I think their expectations far exceeded their reality.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

Thank you for your input. If staying on the north shore, where would you stay? I am assuming there are swimmable beaches and the water will be warm on the north shore? I would say we don't want to stay at the Hyatt if the beach there is not swimmable.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

The surf is almost always pretty rough at the Hyatt. But the beach itself is very beautiful. The problem is that there are few hotels on good beaches on Kauai. In September, your odds of calm surf are pretty good on the northshore, but conditions vary a lot. If I were picking a hotel up there, I'd definitely go with the St. Regis, if money is not a concern. The views of Hanalei Bay from there are awesome, in the true meaning of the word. My second choice up there would be the Hanalei Bay Resort. There are also a number of lovely cottages and homes to rent that are on good beaches, but you may find minimum stay requirements an issue.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

The Hyatt is a fantastic place. Any reviews going on are rotated throughout the buildings to make the least impact on guests. Renovations are an ongoing thing in Hawaii hotels. As such, it's down to a system and most folks report they didn't feel any impact on their stay.

That said, the Hyatt is on a great beach for walking, enjoying watching the surf, beachcombing but the waters are rougher here.

The Lihue Marriott is a great place with a fantastic pool on a swimmable beach. It's a large bay and the cruise and cargo ships are in the harbor not too far away. That can sometimes mean the water is quite as crystal clear as other places but still nice, with nice views of the hills beyond the bay.

I personally don't like one over the other, of the above two. But I second Martik's recommendation of the new Koa Kea , right on Poipu Beach. You've got it all , at this place. The lovely updated and smaller boutique type hotel and great beaches surrounding you.

Here is a link where you can check out the beach scene at each place. Note that the pictures that say Kiahuna Plantation, Sheraton and Marriott Waiohai are on the same beach as the Koa Kea. (they share the same beaches). You'll also see some good shots of the Hyatt beach.

oyster.com/hawaii/…

Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott vs Hyatt

What is your nightly budget?

In Sept...Money no object...Choose North Shore St Regis for your special occasion.

If we had dismissed the Hyatt simply because it didn't have a swimmable beach....Wow...that would have been a mistake ...for us..The property is fabulous ....in one of the most spectacular locations in all Hawaii. You truly feel you are in a special place. If you receive a room that you perceive as "tired"....ask to be moved....they aim to please...it is all about customer service. Speaking from experience...once I start analyzing reviews...you can go around in circles. Sometimes I equate it to a Negative review of a Movie i absolutely loved. Everyone has different opinions.

"Marriott near the Airport" would not be my first choice of beaches (High on your list) Pool is nice. In the town of Lihue.