We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats up with the chickens?

EDM
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whats up with the chickens?

Will be coming to Kauai in May and was last there 5 years ago. Whats up with the chickens? From the recent pics that I've seen they are even at the beaches now. Is there anything being done to get a handle on them? Were a bit of nuisance 5 years ago,(waking you up too early) but seems to really be getting out of control now. (any comments)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

KK - I laughed!!! 800 degrees for one minute or 1 degree for 4 days...belch......

3Chihuahuas

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

lol, 3 chi, I am relieved, I was starting to think the Kaua'i board can't appreciate classic local humor ...

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

It's not chickens or roosters crowing that keep me up at night, it's threads like this! LOL. Hey everybody knows that "chickens" are "monk seals" with feathers on the beach; thus we must stay far away and let them crow..er...sun.

Welcome back Janet from gay Paris! I heard you came back a day later than scheduled because you were "chicken" to fly that night!

ROTLMAO Sorry Janet! I just had a couple of comments to crow about. :)

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

Welcome home, Janet. Just checked the forum after a few days and you are up to your ears in chickens. LOL Think the tourists should stop feeding them and it would make them less annoying. Mrs. S. reminds me though of the chickens at Duane's that look so hungry. Ha.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, the ones that live around my condo complex are never fed by people, and they are healthy and don't look at all deprived - so if you don't want to be pestered by them....don't feed them....they can eat their natural foods (bugs)without any intervention from man and will be a lot less of an "issue" that it appears many find them to be in places like beach parks, rersorts etc. where people feed them - and then they do learn to "pester" people for food - not their fault - who wouldn't rather have a free hand-out? lol.

I noticed when I got home the other day that the little chicks that were very small when I left on my vacation are now "teenagers" and still tagging along with Mom....glad to see the full compliment of them here as well! Oh and yes, I hear a rooster right now - and as we all know - I love that sound as well!

Malama Pono,

Janet

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

I like the chickens. Just too many of them. It helps that I can't be awakened that easily. But I prefer them over the cats that were brought in to "Control them" . Most locals I've talked to don't mind since they eat the dreaded centipedes.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm afraid that the feral cats weren't "brought in" to control the chicken population, but are rather the product of uncaring people who "dump" unwanted cats in the wild, leaving them to fend for themselves. Our local feral cat population doesn't really have any correlation to the chickens - I don't think I've ever seen a cat catch and chase a chicken to kill it - I've seen them with little chicks right by and they haven't bothered them.

I suppose if they were hungry enough - but the Feral Cat Coalition here does the spay, neuter, release program for as many feral cats "colonies" here as possible - made possible by our local Humane Society. Many people take care of the little cat colonies whose numbers are contained by this method - including me.

People dump cats like garbage - it isn't their fault and the humane thing is to do the proved method of maintaining healthy, neutered colonies of cats.

Oh wow....don't even get me started on yet another animal issue - LOL!

Too late!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

How anyone can dump a pet is beyond me. I am more of a dog lover than cat lover, but all pets deserve a loving home.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

Yes, like Janet said, no one imported cats to take out the chickens. I wonder how these bits of wacky information come into being.

jam, the local culture values dogs but not cats. Cats are just outside, not even treated like pets or petted or loved. I personally love cats and find the attitude towards cats very hard to take.

The humane societies here euthanize dozens of cats a day. If a cat is not chipped and it comes in, it gets put down before day's end, no trying to find an owner, nothing -- but they are supposed to scan for microchips. It's brutal.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Whats up with the chickens?

Shall we start on the bufo toads? They were brought in to "control" a sugar cane eating beetle, yes? Not much cane left, WOW are there ever lots of toads!!!!!

Sorry Janet, but if the cats ate the chickens that ate the toads (poison) that ate the centipedes - PROBLEM SOLVED guess you would need a few leftover cats for the rats....

Thankfully - Kauai does not have mongoose(s) or coqui frogs....like KK's got on the Big Island.

3Chihuahuas