We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee beans

Holden...
Level Contributor
18 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee beans

Just curious about the cost of Kona coffee beans on Kauai. Have heard Kauai coffee is not the best, but love Kona. Where can you buy beans around Poipu?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee beans

We really enjoyed the tour and coffee tasting at the Kauai Coffee plantation........take the free tour there, sample their many choices before you decide which you like best, the prices at the plantation gift shop were even less than in the stores........I did notice Kona coffee in Walmart and most of the grocery stores......

California
Level Contributor
35,815 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee beans

I don't know who told you Kauai coffee wasn't good but I would disagree. I just had some a few minutes ago.

I find the coffee beans at places like Walmart are okay but maybe they have been hanging around a long time. If you want fresh beans stop by Java Kai.

http://www.javakai.com/

They have Kona and Kauai brands and as mombear said you really should give it a shot and see what you think for yourself.

When in Rome............

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee beans

Kaua'i Coffee has several grades of coffee. Yes, they harvest mechanically (which is less discerning), but they have a state-of-the-art color-based bean sorter to then remove the unripe beans from processing. They also have several varietals, as well as peaberries, which you can taste and buy at their visitor center. Their good stuff is just as good as any Kona beans, and slightly cheaper ($10-$15 per bag). I don't know if you can get it elsewhere, maybe in the high-end stores of Kukui'ula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaberry

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee beans

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well first of all - I'll second the responses you've gotten about our very own Kaua'i Coffee - go out to Kaua'i Coffee on Numila Rd. just past Kalaheo and try their coffee - there is a whole taste-testing area where you can try just about any type of their coffees.

Having said that - I agree that Kona coffee is different, and I enjoy it as well - if you are looking to purchase it here in the Po'ipu area - you will have no problem - you can drive into Old Koloa Town and buy it at either Big Save or Sueoka Store or you can take the short drive up to Kalaheo Cafe and Coffee Company - they have beans you can purchase of many types - including 100% Kona.

Wherever you purchase it - do check and make sure it is 100% Kona Coffee - there are many types of coffee here that say "Kona coffee" but you have to read the smaller script to see that is is actually about 10% Kona coffee and a blend.

You can expect to pay quite a bit more for Kona Coffee as well.

So give our own Kaua'i Coffee a try - and then make your own decision!

Link to Kaua'i Coffee website: http://www.kauaicoffee.com/

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee beans

Definitely try Kauai coffee as well. I would say it's slightly bolder than Kona coffee, but both are excellent.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee beans

The most flavorfull Kauai coffees are the Blue Mountain and the Koloa Estate. Medium or Dark. Just as good as Kona but of course different. I like them all.I have heard that the Java Kai daily Kona coffee is actually from Molokai (good too).

Although I don't see how as Molokai is even more different than the rest.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,865 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee beans

Janet, I don't remember, does Starbucks Poipu carry local beans at all?

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee beans

I don't drink coffee but always bring some back for my mom and she prefers Kauai to Kona. Her favorite though is Molokai Muleskinner coffee.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee beans

I much prefer Kaua`i coffee to Kona; much more mellow. I especially like the peaberry medium roast, but they're all good.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee beans

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Janet, I don't remember, does Starbucks Poipu carry local beans at all?"

No - none of the Starbucks (or the new "Seattle's Best" by Borders) carry anything but their own beans.

Malama Pono,

Janet