We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Aloha from Kaua'i!

On a baguette run to Living Foods Market at Kukui'ula Village yesterday (they bake their own breads on site, have them out by 11am - baguettes $4.50, boules are $6.50 to $8.50 - a little steep and not really a traditional baguette, but tasty nonetheless) --- I noticed that the sign for Jean-Marie Josselin's Tapas Restaurant is up and from peeking in the windows it looks like it is getting very close to completion - I think I'd heard mid-May, which looks right at least from my peek inside.

It isn't on the side of the shopping village that is closest to the ocean - so I don't know what kind of a view they would have - I doubt it would be ocean however - it is kind of opposite Merriman's on the Po'ipu Rd. side of the shopping village.

Thought folks would like to know - his name will certainly draw I would think.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Yes, the restaurant is supposed to open in May. A friend of my daughter's is going to work there and is very excited.

Man, there's going to be about 4 new places to eat this year--and I was going to try and cut back --oh well maybe next year.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Do tell what are the other new restaurants that will open? We will be

there in September celebrating our 30th Anniversary - staying Poipu

for 3 days and then North Shore for 8..... Who is Jean-Marie Josselin?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well as far as new restaurants opening up - here at least in the Po'ipu area - the only one that I'm aware of is the old Po'ipu Bar and Grill down at Po'ipu Kai - it closed and is going to be re-opening - not sure yet of the name, but it is the owner of "Kalapaki Joe's" over in Nawiliwili - there is a thread on it somewhere here on TA - it sounds promising as a moderately priced spot that many folks will enjoy!

Jean-Marie Josselin is a well known chef and had a VERY popular restaurant here quite a few years ago now called "A Pacific Cafe" (closed for many years) - here is a sound bite from an article about him by "Las Vegas Restaurants.com" --

"In 1990, Josselin felt he was ready to do his own thing and chose to open up his first restaurant, A Pacific Café in Kapaa, Kauai. There, Josselin showcased a new trend in cuisine – Hawaiian regional cuisine – that he had originated in the late 80s. Drawing upon his classic French training for the foundation, Josselin infused his cooking with an inspired use of spices and techniques from Pan-Asian cuisine—this became his signature style. Opening up one or two new restaurants per year over the next few years, soon Josselin was presiding over seven restaurants throughout the Hawaiian Islands including Oahu and Maui.

Along the way, Josselin received recognition from prestigious culinary institutions for his innovative culinary style and use of fresh, organic ingredients. The James Beard Foundation nominated him three separate years for "Best Chef of the Northwest"; Bon Appetit magazine singled out A Pacific Café as "one of the best restaurants in the country"; and Condé Nast Traveler chose A Pacific Café as one of its "50 Choice Restaurants Around the Country."

For the record - I never ate at "A Pacific Cafe" or any of his other restaurants - but his name is very well known and respected and his

opening another restaurant here has been talked about for years and much anticipated.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Besides the two Janet mentioned, Merriman's will be new for us--wasn't opened last summer. The other one I've never tried but plan to this year is Mark's Place.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

A Pacific Cafe in Kapaa is still where I ate my favorite food in Hawaii many times. He also had "The Bakery" in Lihue in a strange industrial area for such a good restaurant.

It was too late before I knew who the mastermind was when he was out of the Beach House so I missed that. Perfect(to me) blend of Local ingredients and French prep.To make things better he was the most reasonably priced of the "star" chefs. Disappointed this is supposed to be very different.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

I used to LOVE A Pacific Cafe. It was always worth the drive from Poipu when I was on the island. I was very sad when it closed as (in my opinion) no other restaurant on the island matched it for quality and creativity. Good to know that Josselin will be bringing a new restaurant back to the island.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
860 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Opens this Saturday May 1st, can't wait to try it out. Pacific Cafe was Ono.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

Good to know it opens soon//can you sneak us a copy of the menu and prices?? Mahalo

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

We were at the shoping center on Tuesday. Looked like they were still painting. Went into Quicksilver to do a little shopping, and the festivities began... We came out and there were a ton of people heading into Josselin's. They were have a "blessing"? They open on Saturday May 1st. We go home tomorrow.

We had a quick bit at Merriman's Cafe before doing the Just Live zip lines.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jean-Marie Josselin Tapas Restaurant - nearing completion

I don't know when we are returning yet, but I can't wait to try Jean Marie's new place. We always made sure we had a meal at Pacific Cafe when they were open and I have made a number of his dishes from his cookbook -- great stuff. The tapas angle sounds good to me -- I always ordered his appetizers rather than entree because they were so creative and delicious.