We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

We'll be on Kuaui when my wife turns 50 in October. We've never been there before and I'd like to do something special for her. Any one with some good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

What you do might depend on what you and she enjoy together.

You will not run out of things to do on kauai, but suggest that you pick up the ultimate kauai guidebook, as well as 101 things to do on Kauai.

If you can share with us what you like to do....chill at a resort, beach,shop, hike,kayak, snorkel, sightsee, and choice of meals and ambiance for dining, we would be able to assist you much more efficiently.

Denny

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Ok, thanks Denny, I'll try and narrow it down a bit. I'm thinking an adventure / activity during the day (not a hike), then a nice, reasonably priced dinner preferably on the beach or with a view.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Dinner suggestions would depend on where you are staying.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

For a dinner, I'd suggest Hukilau Lanai - the food is soooooooooooo good - something for everyone (my DH hates fish).

http://hukilaukauai.com/

For your adventure, how about Wings Over Kauai - much less expensive than a helicopter tour and such a good tour & folks (family run)!

http://www.wingsoverkauai.com/

3Chihuahuas

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Oops! I just noticed that you posted on the Poipu Forum, so I presume you are staying there? Hukilau Lanai mentioned by 3chis is also a favorite of mine too. It is located in Kapaa, probably 30 - 40 minutes depending on traffic. If you want to stay in Poipu, the favorites include Tidepools, Beachhouse, Merriman's, Josselin's Tapas and Plantation Gardens and Red Salt. Tidepool's has super ambience with open air tables set in a huge lagoon with torchlights. Beachhouse is right on the ocean with great sunsets, but a bit noisier. Plantation Gardens is a nice non-beach setting in tropical gardens at Kiahuna Plantation. Josselin's and Merriman's are located in the new shopping center, so no water view. Red Salt is at the new Koa Kea boutique hotel on the ocean.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Pick up a copy of Lenore Horowitz's Kauai Underground Guide (not the same publication suggested by Denny) for wonderful ideas re things to see and do, and places to dine at. Comes with a CD of Kealii Reichel to get you into the spirit of the Islands.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Another point - you may need to define YOUR "reasonable," since it differs from person to person, and some of the suggested restaurants, e.g., Beach House, Red Salt, Tidepools, will run about $150+/couple with two courses each, dessert to share and a glass of wine per person.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

We are staying at the Kiahuna Plantation.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

I know she only turns 50 once but she would not want me spending over $100 on diner for the two of us.

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wifes 50th, need suggestions to make it special in Kuaui.

Since you are staying at Kiahuna, you could walk to Plantation Garden on the property-- a beautiful setting and great food. If you want oceanview, I'd suggest one of the three mentioned above, Tidepools at the Hyatt, Beach House, or Red Salt at Koa Kea. We like all three. We ate at Red Salt for the first time this year and loved it, but it's the priciest of all.