We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South shore 4WD rental

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
South shore 4WD rental

Is there any rental place on the south/west shore where I can rent a 4WD to take up to the canyon? Or do I have to go all the way back to Lihue?

We have a car reserved for our week on Kauai but I want to rent a 4WD just for 1 day to do some hiking in Waimea Canyon/Koke'e

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South shore 4WD rental

All car rentals are at the airport.

I have been to the canyon plenty of times and never needed a 4 wheel drive.

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South shore 4WD rental

I'm thinking of 4WD for Mohihi Camp 10 Rd. and Miloli Ridge Rd off of the canyon road. I figured these would be prohibited by the rental car contract and not do-able without 4WD?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South shore 4WD rental

call discount hawaii car rentals 1-800-292-1930 They set it up for me to pick up a car in Pui'po rather than the airport

www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South shore 4WD rental

I can almost guarantee you, even a 4WD rental will be prohibited on those roads. Do yourself a favor - CALL the local office on Kauai of whatever company you plan on renting with and ask beforehand.

3Chihuahuas

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
168 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South shore 4WD rental

if you rent a 4WD, make sure you save some time with it to drive out to Polihale Beach for me! We tried in our chevy malibu (hope no rental companies are reading this), and it made my hubby super nervous. we were probably less than half a mile away and he turned the car around! i was fuming.. but he had that gut feeling. it didn't help his gut feeling that we saw a lot of locals driving out (on our way in) with huge suuped up tires.

there were a bunch of hikes i would have wanted to try in waimea that required getting to the trailhead on a 4WD, so hope you get out there and have fun! bring shoes you don't mind throwing away. we got super muddy just doing the "tame" Pihea trail to the swamp crossing.

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South shore 4WD rental

Thank you all for your comments & suggestions. I am renting for the week thru Discount so I will give them a call to see about a Poipu pickup and if I can drive on those roads with a 4WD.

7. Re: South shore 4WD rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 08:17