We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

My wife and I will be coming to Kauai in February and have just about decided on the Poipu area (thanks to comments on this board). Wondering if anybody has any thoughts/comments on Kuhio Shores condos? Looks like it is in a good location and has a good snorkeling area adjacent to it. My wife is not into snorkeling--is the beach to the west of the complex easy to get to? Thanks for any advice!!

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

You will find many older threads on us talking about Kuhio Shores. Many of us on these boards like it and some not so much. I can't figure those people out. I think for the price KS is a super option. I have been in many of the units and they do vary by owners. The lower numbered units (like 207 and 308 which I like) are bayside, while units with highr middle numbers like 316, 217 are oceanfront. Those are more desirerable and will probably be tough to get into in Feb. The nicer units sometimes rent a year in advance. The small beach is good for snorkeling and sunbathing and you are 5 minutes to other beaches.

KS doesn't have a pool which is the only negative I can say. You are right on top of the water. Just read reviews and choose a unit carefully.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

We have stayed in Kuhio shores # 217 and also # 410.

The over the water view of the ocean is extremely pleasant.

Also, you can sit out on the back lawn of Kuhio Shores, which is on the ocean, or walk over to Lawai Beach in a few steps and sit in the sand, or you can sit up on the Beach House Lawn, with the coco palms and view of the coast, surfers, and beach.

Do not know what more you would want, since the snorkeling at Lawai is great, as is the ability to kick back and relax.

You unit is right next door to the beach, and you can walk around the ocean side of the beach house to and from Kuhio Shores . Or out the front entry to Kuhio Shores, hang a left and take the short stroll to the beach.

Not much energy involved. Everything is simple and easy, and nearly zero effort of any kind.

Denny

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

Just to add a couple of thoughts -- we have stayed at KS many times and like it a lot for all the reasons stated above. It is generally a quiet place without a lot of kids around (probably because there is no pool.) Our favorite unit is #309 -- it is a corner unit with views of both the bayside and oceanfront.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

I will add some thoughts as well. Honestly, it is my favorite place to rent on Kauai, simply because you are within a few feet of the ocean in any unit you rent. I have stayed in #303 and #308. Both units are "bayside", which I actually love because I love waking up to a sunrise. The bayside units are east-facing and you will have sunrise views. The units get shady by afternoon and cool off earlier than the oceanfront units do. The oceanfront units are south/southwest facing and you can watch the sunset from them. The most appealing thing about KS is definitely the location. You can hear the ocean waves all day and night. For me personally, the lack of a pool is not an issue. As jebett mentions, however, the units vary by owner. The ones I stayed in were very nice.

Edited: 31 October 2010, 01:20
Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

We loved our stay at Kuhio Shores. The condos are so near the water you feel more like you are on a ship than in a condo. Breathtaking views!

We walked and road bikes all over the Poipu area from there. We saw monk seals on a number of occasions on both beaches to the sides of the complex. You can watch the MANY honu feeding on the rocks below at all hours.

It is located about half way between the spouting horn, a sweet little harbor and the National Botanical Garden at one end and the restaurants and stores (where keoki's and roy's are located) down near the larger resorts, Poipu beach, etc. at the other. Now that the new shops and restaurants are open very nearby in the Kukui'ula Marketplace, it will be even easier to find anything and everything you might need from KS.

The LOUD sounds of the ocean in our condo at KS has ruined me forever for sleeping without it lulling me to sleep. : )

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

<<The LOUD sounds of the ocean in our condo at KS has ruined me forever for sleeping without it lulling me to sleep.>>

Ditto for me!! In fact, I have never heard the roosters because of the ocean sounds. :-)

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

Aloha.

We love KS for all the reasons stated already, but primarily for the location and quiet.

We stayed at KS 212 recently and it's a beautiful condo. We were a little disappointed when we first walked out onto the lanai and saw the view to the W was mostly blocked by a wall. The south facing units don't have the same view as every 2 unit block of condos is offset from the next. . Not the biggest deal, but we'd stayed in 213 before and the view was equal to the E and W. from the lanai.

We were also less than impressed with the owners lack of email

response when our time was up. I tried to communicate a number of small issues (wireless modem and fire alarm both died), but got no response. It also took 3 emails and 2 weeks to get confirmation that she was sending our deposit check. Not cool too to ignore someone you owe money and don't explain why.

We'll choose another unit in the future, but we definitely go back to KS.

Edited: 31 October 2010, 11:30
Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

Good point about the south-facing units and the lanais not being exactly the same. I've never been too sure as to which units have the best view because of the slight differences with the building structure on that side. All of the bayside units have lanais that are equal in size, and no walls stick out to block any views.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

Another KS lover here. We took our first trip in Octover this year and loved our stay. It is a very nice complex and no problem to walk to the beach. Very short distance and is she does not sit there she can sit on the Beach House lawn. Wonderful place to sit and enjoy the ocean or a good book.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on Kuhio Shores Condos

I just spent 3 months at Kuhio Shores. I'm usually an east side lover, but I have to admit that the location of Kuhio Shores was wonderful for my temporary relocation.

I can only speak about the bay side - the larger lanais, the sunrise view, the great cross breeze east to west with the window open. Not having a pool didn't bother me in the least. You can walk to the Beach House Beach and Baby Beach and you are also a short drive from the other Poipu beaches.

The Bay Side has the sunrise, but the ocean side has the sunset. If you rent a unit on the bay side, you can stroll over to the lawn in front or next door at the Beach House. It was my daily ritual to take my rubbish out around sunset and just take a detour over to watch the sunset on that side of the building.

One of my concerns originally was that there are no laundry facilities in the units, just a laundry room on each floor. I likely do more laundry as a resident than a visitor might. But in 3 months, I only had to wait once for a machine, and if I wasn't lazy, I could have gone up or down a floor to use a machine there. I did learn to get quarters either from the manager, the bank , or from the change machines I'd find at the various laundromats. The laundry room on each floor wasn't a problem at all.

Another neat thing about Kuhio Shores, is that there is an elevator. If you are staying on an upper floor, and carrying things up and down a lot (like me) the elevator is nice, but also there is a rolling cart for occupants to use during the day. (It's put away at night) So, feel free to load up on Costco goods, bring all your suitcases into your unit in one trip, etc. Very handy!

The grounds are very well cared for - and the building is very quiet. And smoke free! Smokers are asked to use the designated smoking area, and so enjoying the lanai. It's a quality building. I enjoyed my stay there very much.