We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's new since 2007?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
What's new since 2007?

We used to visit Kauai every year, but due to other events (weddings & a grandbaby) haven't been since 2007. But we're finally coming back for Thanksgiving week! And I'm wondering what's changed.

We're staying at Poipu Kapili, which is where we've stayed since it was built. I've heard about the nearby construction ) : but on a happy note Lappert's is closer! We'll have to try Josselin's and visit our old favorites too -- the Koloa fish market, Brick Oven Pizza, hula pie at Keoki's, a sunset drink at the Hyatt. . . Hmmm, this is all food!

We're arriving on Monday evening so sadly we will miss the Koloa sunshine market which is one of my favorite things. (Food again.) We'll have to try the Kalaheo market on Tuesday. Or is the Wednesday market at Kukui'ula a decent substitute?

Anything new that we shouldn't miss? We'll go to the beach, snorkel, and play a round of golf, but mostly we plan to relax (when we're not eating).

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's new since 2007?

Are you planning on getting out of Poipu at all? Maybe you can take a drive and see the redone St Regis (old Princeville Hotel).

Merriman's is also in Poipu and go check out Koa Kea Hotel which was Poipu Beach Hotel until the hurricane decided to wipe it out. I think you will see some construction changes (especially the high rise Koloa Landing) but most of the other construction projects are on hold. Luckily Kauai hasn't changed that much in my mind.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,872 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's new since 2007?

The bike path in Kapaa is more complete, so you can have a great stroll or ride from downtown out to Kealia and Donkey beaches. There are bike rentals right there in town.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's new since 2007?

Not a bunch of changes since 2007. Camphouse Grill is no more; the stuff at Koloa Fish Market is still ono, and the line at Brick Oven Pizza is longer than ever. A drink on the terrace at the Hyatt is still wonderful, although I am also very fond of a later drink at Stevenson Library with jazz band playing in the background. If it is Wednesday, then it must be the great-big farmer's market day in Kapaa. Yes, do try Merriman's. It is pretty wonderful. I am also all about food.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's new since 2007?

Be sure you try the Merriman's that is upstairs. We made the mistake of eating at the one downstairs. Not good at all and others on the board have mentioned that they didn't have good food there either.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's new since 2007?

The Merriman's was fine for lunch. We had a very nice lunch there last August. We should have tried the restaurant upstairs for dinner but opted for Josselin's instead. If you do decide to try Josselin's, go early before they get too crowded and ask for a table away from the kitchen and bar. It was just too loud for our tastes and the service could not keep up with the demand.

For a very nice, quiet dinner, you might want to check out Red Salt at the Koa Kea hotel which opened a couple of years ago.

Edited: 08 November 2010, 06:22
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's new since 2007?

Hmm, our last 2 visits were 2006 and 2010 and we felt there were significant changes in the Poipu area. Koloa Landing has been mentioned, Kuikui'ula Shopping Center and Golf Course, some project in Koloa.....and don't forget the new roundabout :)

We ate at Red Salt and it was very good, high end food and service. Pretty dead in there on a Friday at 7:00, except for one very drunk and apparently rich guy. Hope they make it (the restaurant).

Seems like there were miles of black construction fences. Felt like a lot of change to us.

Edited: 08 November 2010, 11:34
Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's new since 2007?

Thanks for all the replies.

I was surprised when I saw the new roundabout on Google Maps, but it probably does make sense at that intersection. DOT recently built a roundabout to replace a T intersection near my work, and it's been a good thing.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What's new since 2007?

Only on Kauai would construction of a roundabout be the big deal it has been. :)

Patrick, behind those black fences there isn't much happening. Construction fencing went up in so many places but most of the construction start-ups and projects fell flat. So what is truly 'new' has amounted to Koloa Landing, Kukuiula Village and.......drumroll.......that famous roundabout.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's new since 2007?

Merriman's Downstairs used to get some pretty good reviews, but lately they have been bad -- and that was our experience last week there -- very bad. I wonder if they had staff or other changes that were not good for the place. Kalapaki Joe's food is a big improvement over the former Poipu Beach Broiler at Poipu Kai. You'll notice the beginnings of several large developments inn the Poipu area, but with the exception of Koloa Landing, there doesn't seem to be much going on at their sites. It is kind of a mess right now down by the boat harbor -- construction. The walk down Lawai Road is really not that nice anymore. One new thing we did is go to the Marriott Waiohai beachfront bar a couple of times -- very nice atmosphere to have a drink or a sandwich. But all in all, I agree with jebett -- Kauai doesn't seem to change that much. I guess that's why we keep coming back.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,872 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's new since 2007?

We see kauai from the stand point of being out and away from the resorts and high end restaurants.

So, yep , the multi purpose trail, along the east shore is a very nice walk.

Wonderful views of the ocean and coast line.

Zellos in Hanalei is now Kalypso.....like to stop here for lunch after our north shore adventures.

Across the road, in back of the old school house as you enter hanalei town from princeville direction, is a really , cool, and interesting shop called HAWAIKI......very interesting arts and crafts from the pacific rim. Also great talking with Dylan, a sailor and adventurer and part owner. Actually that is the only shop that I enter, as I am at the oposite pole of a shopaholic.

The awa awapuhi loop trail at the cliffs section , is getting quite eroded, and many people are doing 180's at that point, back up the nualolo, or awa awapuhi trails....and not attempting the loop.

Fun things:

Bruce of Wings over Kauai now has a new aussie built GA-8 fixed with tour aircraft for circle island tours. Outstanding, lots of room and generally no weight problems as the aircraft can fly 1 pax, but he only takes four. About half the cost of a helo tour.

Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours.... does to circle island tours, but different than the other helo outfits, they also have an helo flight lesson , where you get to actually fly the helo with the instructor at your side.

If you are into golf......at this time Poipu Bay is closed , as is a course up at Kauai Lagoons. ( big time project and mess up at kauai lagoons, but when it is finished, stand by to stand by, it will be special.

Poipu is still a lot of dust shields on tall posts, but lawai beach still has pretty darned good snorkelng......and the tombolo was back at poipu beach park, making snorkeling on the right side available again, as the tombolo slowed up the strong current.

There are some other things, but I doubt they will have any major effect on your driving...and island fun.

Oh, the Koloa Rum Co. tasting room at Kilohana will be new to you. We love , or I should say I love their dark rum.

And as far as driving, the Wailua Bridge is still not completed, and who knows when that will happen.....also on hwy 50, between Nawiliwili Rd, and Puhi Road ( KCC and Kilohana area ), you will have another slow construction project.

Come on over and love having a great visit. Your island awaits.

Denny

Edited: 08 November 2010, 20:17
Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours
Mauna Loa Helicopter...
1,463 Reviews