We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

We are a family of 4 including will be 10 and 8 year old boys planning our first trip to Kauai. We aren't sure where to stay, we definitely want a 2 bd condo with a kitchen, fun pool for boys, maybe slide etc? Also would like a fairly swimmable beach nearby, possibly restaurant, kids activities (optional), etc? We just want to relax and wade in the ocean etc. We would love oceanview and top of budget is about $350 night. We are looking at 10 nights starting late May into June. We looked at Waipouli Beach Resort, looks gorgeous but have seen mixed reviews as to how far a swimmable beach is. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions, we also looked at Grand Hyatt but it appeared they only had regular rooms, not 2 BR condos with kitchen. Would also love to see any wildlife if possible??? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much!!!

California
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Check out Kiahuna Plantation. It has every thing you want except maybe a great pool. The pool is across the street, nothing over-the-top, but it does have a slide. My grandkids had fun there. The grounds at KP are gorgeous, the beach is great, and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

WBR does not have a good beach at all. You will end up driving to the North Shore for all your ocean activities.

Late May early June I would head North. Check out Westin. To get to the beach they will either drive you to where the St Regis and HBR share a beach or it's a short drive to Hanalei Bay and the great snorkeling beaches like Tunnels and Kee.

Wildlife? Birds? Dolphins? Wild pigs? You will see plenty of roosters I can tell you that!

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Is the Westin up on a cliff above the ocean? We were hoping to be more on the beach... ???

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Yes the Westin is in Princeville and all places in Princeville are on the bluff.

There are few places right on the beach on the North Shore unless you rent a house. Hanalei Colony Resort is on the beach, but there pool isn't great and its pretty remote with little services close by.

Even on the South Shore there are few places right on the beach. The lovely Marriott is, Kiahuna Plantation (as previously mentioned and a great choice if you find a nice two bedroom but pool is across the busy main street) and there are a few condos close to the beaches.

Martik's boys are the same age as yours and has decided to go to Kiahuna this next June for her family trip. She is a Kauai expert and I'm sure she will tell you Kauai is more about the ocean than the pool, but I like a nice pool too as did my kids when they were younger.

Westin are timeshares and they save the best view condos for owners but it does have a nice pool and bbq area. Trust me you will be driving to the best beaches anyway.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

22Kauai - Is it the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation ? Thanks, if that's it will check it out! REALLY appreciate everyones help... this is a big trip we're planning for our 20th wedding anniversary and want it to be great!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

I agree with Kauai22's suggestion for Kiahuna Plantation. Most are managed by Outrigger then some by Castle. You can also find some rented directly by owners. There is no ONE rental manager for these as they're all individually owned and the owners pick who will manage their unit. Pool is not an over-the-top type pool but it does have a small slide. The beauty of Kiahuna is the beach. Lots for the family to walk to also. Great location.

I'd also recommend you take a look at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, which is just down the beach from Kiahuna. New two-bedroom units , built mostly as timeshares but Marriott holds out some for regular rentals. Not sure if it would meet your price needs though. Here is the link...

marriott.com/hotels/…

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Napa's ideas are great - Kiahuna or Waiohai - two wonderful places. Kiahuna Plantation sits on a wonderful beach. I think your price range fits right into the ones closes to the ocean.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Just looked at the 2 BR at the Marriott - wow GORGEOUS but unfortunately I think out of our price range $350 - $375 would be max for us... So if we are looking for something on the beach, a swimmable beach with a nice pool (and I think crossing a busy street is probably not going to meet our needs) would we be better off looking in Maui??? Really wanted Kauai but now I'm not sure...

California
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

Except for our stay 20 some years ago, we have always rented directly through an owner. Check out the two bedroom at www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com

We have rented the one bedroom from this owner and were very happy. Actually, the 2bd. might be the same one we rented when we brought our kids years ago. They caught the Kauai bug and now go every summer.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai Trip Planning - Need Advice please.

My boys are a little older than yours (9 & 11) and we opted for Kiahuna Plantation Condos for our trip in June, 2011. I would prefer to have a pool closer to our condo but the beach is fabulous and my kids love to boogie board. We may end up walking across the street to use the pool but more likely, we will spend our days on the beach. The grounds are wonderful and it's a very quiet complex. You can also find a few two bedrooms on www.vrbo.com.