We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

The OC, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Hello! My kind mother is taking my 8 y/o son and me to Kauai for a week, we are staying at the Sheraton Poipu. Only bad thing - I am unemployed and flat broke, and there is no way we can afford the restaurants at the resort. Any ideas on cheap places to eat near Poipu that my son can handle? He's a typical picky eater, but he's happy with plain hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. and LOVES seafood. We'd prefer to stay away from the same-old fast food if possible. Many thanks in advance!

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Bubba's burgers comes to mind. Pizza is always a good option. Just about every restaurant has a childrens menu with cheaper prices. Stay away from the hotels and fancier restaurants like Roy's, Merrimans, Josselins etc. Isn't there a new hot dog stand in Poipu????

Honestly I find all the restaurants in Poipu not "cheap". You can get better deals if you go to Lihue. There they have local haunts with plate lunch specials and the usual fastfood restaurants. Kauai Pasta isn't cheap but you certainly could share their large portions.

You could have saved a lot of money if you had rented a condo, but heck the trip is free so do the best you can and enjoy the Sheraton.

Anyway, hope this can help a little.

latimes.com/travel/…3280269.photogallery

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

First the bad news: here in the Po'ipu area we are primarily a visitor destination area - which means that the vast majority of our eating establishments cater to visitors and their budgets.

The good news is that you can eat "on the cheap" - but you might have to go a little far afield to do so - here in the Po'ipu area there is a great little take out window outside Sueoka Store in Old Koloa Town. The prices are very inexpensive for burgers, fries, and other take-out items. No place to eat there, so strictly take-away. But dead cheap - residents also love it so expect to stand in line here! They also have some local favorites which vary week to week pretty much.

Other than that - I don't know what you consider cheap, but the above mentioned spot is really the only one that I'd consider "cheap" here in the Po'ipu area (meaning under $10.) - you will have to drive into Lihu'e to find good, basic, local places to eat like Dani's Restaurant (breakfast and lunch only), Tip Top Cafe, and Hamura Saimin. All of these are sit-down places - not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but they've been around literally forever and their prices are such that most everyone can afford to eat there.

You can also buy take-out bentos (box lunches) from the Kukui'ula Market here in Po'ipu across from the fire station on Po'ipu Rd. - they have breakfast and lunch bentos and are made there. Typical breakfast bentos would be rice, scrambled eggs, and some type of lunch meat or sausage.

They also have great smoked potatoes in the jacket for $1.25 - this is what I like to pick up on my way to the beach - an easy, cheap and filling meal to eat at the beach!

Hope this helps! I know it is a challenge to eat cheaply - we certainly try and seldom eat out at any of the restaurants in this area ourselves - just can't afford it - like many residents.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Jebett" you know I love you - but when hubby and I indulge in a bubba's burger (veggie of course!) and fries (no drinks) - it costs the two of us right around $20.00 - not what we consider "cheap" - but then we are cheap with a capital C!

I know it is boring, but truly one of the best "deals" on island for pizza is at the Costco food court (don't need to be a member) in Lihu'e. We get a large cheese pizza (and it is large!) for $10.00 - and it feeds us for a couple of meals. Pizza is really expensive here on Kaua'i IMO - it is even cheaper in Tahiti (now that was a surprise!)

Most of the time you can expect to pay a minimum of $20 (give or take a few dollars) for a basic cheese pizza at Pizzetta and I know you can easily go over the $30 mark at Brick Oven in Kalaheo and elsewhere.

Malama Pono,

Janet

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

If your hotel room has a mini-fridge, stop by Walmart buy a jar of peanut butter/jelly combo and a loaf of bread, a box of cereal and milk, get some fresh fruit and juices, cookies......you should be all set for most of the day......then you will only need dinner out......

If there is no fridge in the room, get a styrofoam ice chest at Walmart and keep it filled with hotel ice.......

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

I know Bubba's isn't $1.00 burgers but they aren't $8-10 either. I ate at Zuni Cafe in SF the other day before going to the theater. I had a burger with blue cheese which was extra and it was.....drum roll please.....

$17.50 and shoe string potatoes were extra...... Faint!!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well I know when we go to Bubba's we get cheese on the burgers and fried onions (which is probably extra) - and of course fries - so that takes it up to just about $20. for us at least (I think maybe they have a teriyaki sauce for .50 or something that we get as well).

Sometimes it is just so easy to swing by there on my way back from the Hyatt - and since I don't cook (well I boil water for pasta, does that count?) - it is always a temptation to just grab burgers once in awhile. We probably do it once a month I'd guess. Not enough to "break the bank" - lol.

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

There was a little mexican takeout window on poipu road a few years back that was OK, and fairly cheap. Most picky kids will eat a Quesadilla. Any locals know if it is still there?

California
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Keoki's across the street has a happy hour menu from 3-5. as well as a great kid's menu whenever. Tomkats in Koloa also seems to be pretty reasonable and popular. I've only eaten there once and it wasn't my favorite but you might give it a try. You might also want to pack some Cliff Bars and/or trail mix, etc. from Trader Joe's.

Edited: 21 November 2010, 01:34
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

My kids are 8 & 11. We usually rent a condo while on Kauai but we have stayed in hotels/motels on different trips. I like the idea of using the min-frig in the hotel to stock up on sandwich stuff, cereal and milk. If the hotel does not have a mini-frig (I've never stayed at the Sheraton), an ice chest is a good idea. We pack picnic lunches a lot for our outtings while on Kauai. We don't eat fast food so a nice sandwich is a healthier option. Cereal and milk in the morning, picnic lunch and dinner at Keoki's or some other less expensive place for dinner. We also pick up the little sushi packs at Big Save for the kids on occasion. Poipu Grill (a little take out window next to Kuku'iula Market) gets some good comments.

Edited: 21 November 2010, 02:00
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap places to eat near Poipu with kids?

Did anyone mention Koloa Fish Market and the take-out food? Well, if no one did.. head over to Koloa Fish Market, preferably first thing in the morning, i.e., about 10:00 for the best selection of box lunches. A problem with staying at a hotel is that you will not be able to warm the food up, but you will certainly have a great lunch!

I think there is Subway at Big Save market in Koloa. If someone already mentioned it, sorry for the double post. There is also take out sushi, sashimi, etc., and one could buy a loaf of artisan bread, cheese, salami, wine, etc. IMO, beats crumy restaurant food.

If you want to venture a little further out, Hamura Saimin in Lihue is incomparably delicious and very inexpensive. I would estimate about $5/person, $7 with bbq chicken or beef sticks. We are mega foodies and still consider Hamura a first rate meal!

While you are in and about Lihue, try Kalapaki Beach Hut for great hamburgers on the Island and pretty darn great fish and chips.