We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interisland airfares

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Interisland airfares

Are there some airlines that are more dependable or more reasonable in price than others?

Last visit I obtained a coupon in the local market for discount on local airfare once we were already in Hawaii. Probably better to do ahead of time?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Interisland airfares

Hawaiian Airlines is the largest, longest-established (I believe), has the largest fleet and most number of flights throughout the day. Hence, I would call it the most dependable. Something goes wrong with a flight, they'll get you on another one in 1-2 hours.

YES, you absolutely need to purchase in advance. Especially to get the lower fares. Just as with all airlines the fares are 'tiered'. Cheapest block of seats go first, and so on. The days of hopping without a reservation are gone. If you don't pre-purchase be prepared to have to fly at 6 a.m. or 10 p.m. and at a higher fare on top of it.

Booking online is simple. You choose each segment seperately.

http://www.hawaiianair.com/

California
Level Contributor
37,610 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interisland airfares

Have used them all and Hawaiian wins hands down. I have sometimes saved a few dollars on Island Air and ended up being delayed for hours.

Book as soon as you have your other air secured because the flights that all come in at the same time (11:30am) have connecting flights that leave between 1 and 3 and they go fast and are more expensive.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interisland airfares

Hawaiian Airlines is tops for Safety, Comfort and On-time performance.

Absolutely purchase in advance...the earlier the better.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interisland airfares

Another vote for the Hawaiian.

Harlingen, Texas
Level Contributor
354 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interisland airfares

Just did a same day round trip from Lihue to Honolulu booked 9 days in advance for $138 on Go Mukelele. They don't have as many flight options as Hawaiian but it worked well for us.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interisland airfares

Perhaps a useful article on the subject from the Honolulu Paper

staradvertiser.com/business/businessnews/201…

Hawaiian has 84% of the market up from 50% before Aloha went bust.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interisland airfares

I think your only hope for a discount is for Southwest to move their AirTran 717s to Hawaii.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interisland airfares

If only. I'd love to see someone do that and drive Go! into bankruptcy. It would be perfect Karma.

9. Re: Interisland airfares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 06:26