We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Hotwire or not?

UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
To Hotwire or not?

So I am coming to Kauai for a family event, and am really looking forward to it, until I started looking at the price of condo's and hotel rooms. Eeeekkkk.

The family event I am attending in April is in Poipu, yet, all the rates listed for half decent looking condo's are $245 plus. Yet Hotwire is listing a 4* hotel, in Lihue for $109 a night, all in. Lihue is not where I need to be, but at half the price, perhaps I am gonna just have to drive each day.

I am new to all of this, especially the vacation rental concept. Does anyone have any advice on how to land a reasonable, clean place to stay in Poipu that isn't $245 a night?

HELP!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,927 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Hotwire or not?

It is just you - or a family? Would a studio condo work? I have used hotwire lots, but not in Kauai. But you can do a search on a few sites before you take what hotwire offers. It sounds like most of your time would be spent with family rather than in your lodgings, which to me really helps narrow the field because then all you need is a clean place to lay your head, right?

Here are a few sites I like to use to find places on Kauai:

www.kauaivacationresorts.com/south1.html

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/… With vrbo, you can plug in your dates, and it will show what has availability - I just looked for the month of April and there were some under $100 a night, but I don't know what size of a place you are looking at. Give it a try - you might find just what you are looking for. Good luck! :)

California
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Hotwire or not?

Check out condos at Kiahuna Plantation, our favorite location in Poipu. You should be able to get a one bedroom condo for under $200.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Hotwire or not?

That 4 star isn't. But it's not bad for $109. Read the reviews for Kauai Beach Resort(Aqua)/hilton/outrigger......

It's a nice enough spot at that price, but more like 3 star IMO. And it's only 20 min drive to Poipu.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Hotwire or not?

Well, maybe 25-30 on second thought. Esp in morning/evening traffic.

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Hotwire or not?

Aqua is okay. My brother in law stayed there recently for 2 nights using Hotwire and he said it was fine. My issues with it is it's pretty isolated (ie can't walk to anything from there) and the surf is super rough in this spot. In traffic (and there will be traffic) it took me almost 40 minutes from this location to Poipu today. 25-30 no traffic, I guess.

There are tons of condos in Poipu for less than $245. How big do you need? How many people? Would a studio do or larger? A friend just found a screaming deal on Craigslist for a timeshare re rent at The Marriott which ended up be about $100/nt for a week's stay.

Try VRBO too.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To Hotwire or not?

Agree with Jebett. There ARE many places you can get for less than $245. Less than $200 even. How are you searching? Also, keep in mind that you have to ignore the posted rack rates. Rental companies and owners expect you to negotiate these days. It would be nice if everyone just posted their reduced rates up front but they aren't. These days I'm seeing discounts of 40%off, third nights free, and so on. And this is in Poipu. I wouldn't commute from the east shore to your family event every day. That wuold be a pain. You'll probably find days where people are heading back and forth to their rooms each day.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: To Hotwire or not?

Check out Waikomo Stream Villas in Poipu. Managed by Parrish Collection and many units to pick from:

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/waikomo-stream…

Waikomo Stream can be had for well under that $245. These are nice, large units just a 10 minute walk from the Sheraton beach and walking distance to many restaurants, etc. It's in the heart of Poipu, a good location. I consider these to be the best deal in Poipu and you get an onsite office to help you with your needs, should any arise.

Jebett is correct on Kiahuna Plantation. You can get a 1-bedroom unit there for less than $200. This is a favorite place of many repeat guests. The well-respected 'Grand Dame' of Poipu and sits right on the same great beach as the Sheraton. You can find individual listings in VRBO or you can also get a good deal right from Outrigger

Look at Outrigger's latest promotion for Kiahuna. Only $179 for a 1 bedroom:

outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/hawaiian-island…

And don't forget Suite Paradise, with over 200+ condo units of all sizes and varieties spread throughout the Poipu area. They don't sell by unit, they sell by category though. You can get some great deals from them right now too. Click on your price range in their search bar. As with Parrish, a phone call to their reservationists will be where you can negotiate. They expect it. After you enter your information the results pages are kind of hard to understand, in my opinion. They'll give you many options including car and other options. Just look for the "room only" pricing and bear in mind this is the rack rate ONLY:

http://www.suite-paradise.com/

Good luck. Like I said, under $245 is easy to find in Poipu these days.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: To Hotwire or not?

"I am new to all of this, especially the vacation rental concept."

On this comment I wanted to say that with privately owned condos you have basically 2 options:

1) Rent a unit directly from the owner on VRBO or Craigslist. The idea is that they're charging less because there is no middleman and they pass the savings on to you. Not always though. You're renting an exact unit and if you get there and find out you don't like the unit or it's not as you expected, you're probably stuck as they don't have an inventory of units to pick from and they blocked out those dates for you. Prepayment is due in full 30-60 days prior to arrival.

2) Rent a privately owned unit from one of the rental agency/property managers that owners pick to handle it all for them. You can see from the prices in the links above they're being very competitive these days. You have the advanrtage of a local on island company , oftentimes right onsite too. If you have any issues or don't like the unit you're in, they have an inventory of units to move you into. Prepayment is also usually due 30-60 days in advance. Many people prefer the sense of security they get when renting from a well-known on-island agency with full services and a good supply of units , should anything go wrong. Others typically rent directly from owners and report they've had no problems. Up to you.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 14:56
Coquitlam, BC...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Hotwire or not?

I would also recommend Waikomo Streams -- we are staying there next month for our second time and this time our rate is $109/night. Last time we were able to get a construction discount and got it for $79/night!! A screaming great deal IMO. The construction didn't bother us at all, however some people may have been ticked by the work trucks beeping at 7 a.m.

The units are very nice and the location is great.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Hotwire or not?

In addition to Waikomo Stream, you might also check out the Prince Kuhio condos. These are in an older building, but most of the units have been nicely updated. Most have a lanai with at least a partial oceanview and they are right across the street from a good snorkeling beach. You can usually find something here for around $100 per night. We have rented there both through private owners and Kauai Vacation Rentals and Real Estate. All good experiences.