We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping at the Hyatt

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
tipping at the Hyatt

Question about tipping at the Hyatt...

What is an appropriate tip for the bell staff?

What about the concierge? When they make dinner/activity reservations for you, is it appropriate to tip? If so, how much?

Thank you!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

We tip the bell staff $1-2 per bag when they take the luggage to the room or round it off to $10 if there is a family's worth of luggage involved. They also show you around the room, how the a/c works, etc.

We tip the valet a few dollars every time they bring the car to you to take out for he day, not when you drop it off. They may give you beach towels or water for your outing.

We make our own dinner reservations before we leave home, through Open Table, or the restaurants web site because we either want window or sunset seating, and like to plan ahead. If you are dining at a hotel restaurant, you'll get an email ahead of time from the Hyatt, asking if they can do anything to improve your stay. At that time you could email back and request a time at one of their restaurants. When staying two weeks, you would have more time to plan as you go, and use the concierge's.

We tip about $5 an activity, but I have seen higher depending on how last minute you give the concierge to come up with something.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

Concierge -- I can't speak for that Hyatt , but many (if not most) of the major hotel/resorts have activities desks ... and a separate concierge. The activity desks may be staffed by "external" companies - like Expedia at the Hyatt Maui. This is just a heads up.

A concierge may have a real mix of duties ... and it depends on how you use them. The "classic" concierge a'la New York is the one who gets you special show or concert tickets. Not the case on Poipu -- generally. We've always made our own restaurant reservations (called), although the concierge has good recommendations. Tipping -- it depends on the work involved, I think.

We used the concierge at a hotel in Vancouver -- and the guy was a real life-line. He got tipped!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

There really is no "appropriate" tip for bell staff. Tip whatever you feel is appropriate. They won't care either way. It's not like restaurants where the standard is 15% and up. We usually don't tip per bag and usually give them anywhere from $3-5, depending on how helpful and friendly they are. The same for shuttle bus valets, shuttle bus drivers, tour guides, room service, etc.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

I have a question off topic of the Hyatt but on topic for tipping. What is the concensus here for tipping the car rental shuttle drivers at the airport. I always tip them but have always wondered if that's not the norm as I don't see many others doing it. How do you all feel about that one?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

Since I don't usually have any luggage when I get on the car rental shuttle (my wife waits for the luggage while I go get the car), I've never tipped the shuttle driver.

Spokane
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

We tip shuttle drivers if they help us on and off with luggage and or directions.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

"What is the concensus here for tipping the car rental shuttle drivers at the airport. I always tip them but have always wondered if that's not the norm as I don't see many others doing it."

When we leave home on vacation, I have an envelope of singles and fives for tips (part of the trip budget). If my husband goes alone to get the car without luggage, and the rest of us are at baggage claim waiting to be picked up in Hawaii, he doesn't tip the driver. When he and I travel around the country together, and go to the car rental, we tip a buck, as the guy does lift our luggage off. I don't always see people do that either, for handling their luggage, perhaps most of their vacations are driving trips and they are not used to tipping.

The Hyatt Kauai has a hotel concierge in their Club Room and they are tipped for services, they are not an activity desk.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

Unless they help us with our luggage, I never tip those shuttle bus drivers!

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

Hi there,

I always tipped $2 or $3 for the shuttle bus drivers. Island tours $10 or $20

depending on duration..NWF

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping at the Hyatt

I would add airport PARKING shuttle drivers to the list of shuttle drivers deserving tips. Especially given the weight of my suitcases!

Edited: 15 February 2011, 23:26