We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

We just flew back this last Tuesday night from Kauai. Have there been any evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

All of the ocean front / beach front places were evacuated for the tsunami. I nkow folks at Nihi Kai also had to evacuate. But everything is pretty much back to normal. My husband was at Waikomo Streams Villas and did not need to evacuate. They walked down to Hoonani Road after the threat was over and watched the ocean surging. He said it was definitely not normal and very unusual. Very much like what "scincali" mentioned about Santa Cruz.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is an "inundation zone" for tsunamis as shown in the front of all our local phone books - this is supposed to be the area that is evacuated in case of a tsunami threat - the people that were evacuated ended up in a few places....either at the Koloa Neighborhood Center on Weliweli Rd. (where there was water and chairs, etc.) - or some drove up to the Koloa Ball Park (my husband said that whole area was completely full at 5:30am when he drove by) - and along Maluhia Rd. as well - some also parked along Koloa Rd. at Old Koloa town (Sueoka Store actually opened up because of this!).

Everyone got the all clear around 7am and went back home to sleep more than likely.

Things are totally back to normal here in the Po'ipu area.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Janet,

A few of my husband's business associates are staying in building 4 of Poipu Sands. They were evacuated and spent the night in their car at Koloa Ball Park. I guess it was quite the topic last night at Roy's!

Marti

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, normally my hubby stops at the Koloa Ball Park on his way into town before it gets light - but that morning there wasn't an empty piece of dirt to park anywhere around!

It happened also the last time we had a tsunami scare last year - to a lesser extent, but the Ball Park was still one of the top spots to park and kill time!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

I heard Sheraton guests were evacuated to the church on the bypass (name escapes me right now). Janet, is this true?

We were evacuated from the Cottages at Poipu Kai around 1:00 a.m. By that time all the parking at the Neighborhood Center was full, so we parked along the street. The Center was pretty empty as most people were already asleep in their cars. Coffee, water, tables & chairs, board games and clean washrooms.

I found it most interesting how much traffic zoomed up and down Weli Weli Road all night! Where were all these people going?

~Natasha

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Had lunch yesterday afternoon at Brennecke's. The staff all remarked how strangely the ocean was behaving.

Went for a walk after lunch. Lots of people in the water despite the "No Swimming" sign and plenty of warnings on the radio to stay out of the water.

Happy to see a lot of turtles surfing in their usual spots!

Went snorkeling at Lawai this morning. Clearest water all week and a ton of fish. We even found Nemo!

~Natasha

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"CanadianMomof2" - Kauai Christian Fellowship is the name of the church on the Ala Kinoiki (aka Koloa) by-pass.....I hadn't heard that folks had been evacuated to there - but it is entirely likely.

I know that Koloa Neighborhood Center was the main spot (in past years it has been Koloa School) for folks to go and be inside and comparatively comfortable - but since the KCF would have been outside the evacuation area - it seems a likely place as well.

I'm wondering how many visitors heard the tsunami warning sirens and/or knew what they were and meant? They started going off every hour from I think 10pm until 3am.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

We were listening for sirens, but didn't hear any until 1:00 a.m. as we were leaving our cottage. ~Natasha

9. Re: Any hotel or condo evacuations necessary around Poipu Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 01:15