We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, please....

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
173 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Help, please....

Hello. We no nothing about Kauai or Hawaii. I want to go next Feb for 2 weeks. I know it is early, but I want to get a nice place, in a great location. I have a great lead on a property in the Eastern part of the island called Lae Nani. It was renovated a year ago, with new furniture throughout. It has excellent reviews in Fodors, Frommers and the Ultimated Guide by Andrew D. It is central, which sounded good. The only concern is the weather in winter here in Kauai. We aren't going to Kauai solely for perfect weather, it is the beauty of island (which rain is a big reason for this beauty). So I keep reading that it is best to stay in Poipu area. My only negative, is more people here. We are renting a car, so driving is not a big deal to us. But, of course, I have not been to Kauai so I want your expertise to advice me. Help please. I appreciate it!!

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
284 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, please....

We always stay in Kapaa and find the location just right for us. Central location means we are never very far from good weather. Two years ago, in Feb., we didn't have any rain. Not one shower!!!! So, we could go north or south and enjoy all the island had to offer. This year the best weather while there, once again in Feb., was north. Every time we went south to Poipu it rained. Had to cancel two tee times. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the time you can find sun somewhere. Back to why we like Kapaa. Where ever the sunny weather is, you will be close. Do not let the threat of a little rain keep you from traveling to Kauai.

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, please....

I only rant and rave about Lae Nani, as we are coming up on our 5th annual trip this November. The grounds at Lae Nani are beautifully kept and there are numerous restaurants within walking distance. As said by AppleGuy, the east side is great for being centrally located. You are a short drive to another part of the island if the weather is "disagreeable" in Kapa`a! We have never been in February, but I would not let possible adverse weather stop me from going to Kauai at any time. If you got a good deal on a nice condo at Lae Nani, I would leap at it!

~syd

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, please....

There is another thread with the same exact question and you are the poster. Was your question not answered?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60626-i828-k43524…

Edited: 28 March 2011, 16:29
Saskatoon
Level Contributor
173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, please....

Sorry, but, the reason I posted here is I realized I was posting on the Princeville forum. I fellt it wouldn't hurt to put it in this forum, as not all of us read every forum.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, please....

Before my first trip to Kaua'i I also stressed about which part of the island to stay on. What I've realized is my attitude is far more important than north, south, east or west. Each part of the island has it's own charm, and seasonal weather and surf patterns are not rigid. We have experienced winter storms in sunny Poipu and high surf that cancelled NaPali boat trips out of Hanalei in late summer. If you are easy-going and flexible, you can have a great time no matter where you stay on the island. When it poured rain while we were on Kaua'i earlier this month it was warm - no windchill or snow to shovel!

If you've found a place to stay that looks inviting and has great reviews - go for it. Your thoughts about staying central for a first visit make sense for exploring the entire island. Book a rental car early and keep checking back for better deals. If you are booking excursions, plan those early in your trip so you have some wiggle room in case something needs to be postponed; ask companies about their cancellation policies.

When you first arrive on Kaua'i from the stark whiteness of a prairie winter, you are going to be blown away by the brilliance of the colours and the lushness of the landscape! We've only been back home for two weeks and I'm already trying to figure out when we can go back. ~Natasha

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, please....

Thank you for your info. CanadianMomof2. That is a great way to look at it re: where to stay! You know I think the reason I am checking around for accomodations (even though I have a great condo in line), is I have seen some amazing photos of condos, with amazing views from the lanai. I think maybe to look into getting something like this. The condo at Lae Nani is beautiful, but is on the grd. level with a bit of a view of the ocean.

Also, on the topic of car rental, what is the best way to book a car (where, when, what type of vehicle-compact/SUV is suitable)? How much in advance should we book a car?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, please....

We stayed in Kapa'a at the end of February this year and loved the location. When we return, I'd like to stay either north or south, but we haven't decided where we want to spend most of our time, so we may end up east again. As far as your recent question on car rental, book a car whenever you book the rest of your reservations (I'm saying that to you because you are planning far in advance). You can always cancel a reservation. Don't get caught up in the "pay now" game as you may find a better deal down the road. You can look at www.discounthawaiicarrental.com, but I don't think their 2012 rates will come out until October. Happy planning...

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, please....

We have stayed North, South and East on Kauai.

The North is the most beautiful part of the island, but it will be pretty wet in Feb. The next most beautiful is the South and other than the Nawiliwili area I don't see a lot of beauty in the East.

To me Kapa'a is very busy area and the beaches are not especially great and not all that swimable for the average swimmer.

I would go to Poipu in Feb.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, please....

For your car try www.dscounthawaiicarrentals.com I've always had good luck with them. We always rented a compact. You can make do with a subcompact if there are only 2 in your party. SUV is not needed unless you need the room. A smaller car will use less gas then an SUV, too.

Check your insurance situation. Your own auto insurance may cover you. A credit card may cover you.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help, please....

could you tell me if you need water shoes for the beaches in Kaui? Reading a lot of reviews people say the beaches have a lot of rocks. Please advise!