We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where To Stay In Kauai

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Where To Stay In Kauai

My wife & I will be staying in Kauai in April 2012 after a cruise from Sydney and are presently considering where to stay. Poipu is a preference but we are also thinking of Lihue and even Waimea. We are presently favouring either the Hideway Resort or the Sheraton at Poipu. However we have read ongoing reports as to variations in quality & cleanliness of condominiums and the indifference by management to complaints. Can anyone please, on the basis of a recent stay there, recommend a resort and in particular the number of a particular condominium in the complex.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

In many years of travelling to Kauai I have never heard of the Hideaway Resort. Have a link? The Sheraton is undergoing a huge renovation right now and will be a fantastic choice when it is complete.

Are you saying that you're reading negative reports about this place called Hideaway Resort? If so, move on. There are many, many well known and very nice choices on Kauai to pick from. I googled Hideaway Resort and came up empty-handed.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 15:28
California
Level Contributor
35,591 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

Napaguy, it is probably Hideaway Cove.

You should certainly sit back and read a few pages of recent trip reports.

We can all recommend our favorite places to stay but by reading back on reports and other threads about this same subject it might reign in your question.

As Napaguy said, the Sheraton is a very good choice. I don't think its the quality of The Hyatt or certainly not like St Regis, but its on a lovely beach in Poipu. Another popular hotel in Lihue is The Marriott. Its the only "high rise" type building and it has a really over the top pool. Its close to good restaurants and central on the island for exploring.

If condos are the way you want to go, check out some at Poipu Kapili, Kuhios Shores or Whalers Cove. I don't know much about Hideaways Cottages except what I have read in a few reports. Do you want to be on the water?

April is an interesting month. It either rains all over the island or is the beginning of the rough seas down on the South side. Don't discount staying on the lush green North Shore. Waimea is very sleepy and much dryer but staying there you would be super close to a visit to the canyon. You would be very far away from everything else though. Check out Waimea Plantation Cottages if you decide this is the place for you.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

Take a look at pictures and reviews Waipouli Beach Resort. It's central location in Kapa'a makes driving the island very easy. We had a great stay in February in unit E105.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

There are a lot of great choices around Poipu and some (although fewer) on the west side. It just depends on the atmosphere you want. Why don't you tell us a bit about what you want to do and what kinds of things you want close by. Or is it just seclusion you are looking for? I'm sure TA can help.

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm sorry but the name I gave was incorrect and is in fact Hideway Cove - http://www.hideawaycove.com/. I am not suggesting there is a problem with its units. What I am trying to say is that from comments I have read on TripAdvisor renting condominiums can be a hit or miss. Managed on behalf of owners some are well presented while others are not. Having paid in advance tenants are in a no win situation if the unit is not up to expectations. You can either like it or lump it. That is why I am seeking a recommendation.

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

Thank you for your recommendation. Having an establishment and unit number to request is a real help. We are only having four nights on Kauai before four in Waikiki and then we fly back to Sydney. While on Kauai we hope to do a catamaran cruise along the Napali Coast, drive to Waimea Canyon, take a heli flight over the Napali Coast and take a drive to the north coast

California
Level Contributor
35,591 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

With just 4 nights I would consider staying at The Marriott in Lihue. Though I am not a big fan of the East side, this hotel is very nice and you are so central to all the things you want to do.

I understand what your concerns are about renting privately owned or managed condos but if you read reviews, it usually helps sort out the good from the bad.

I can recommend this condo at Kuhio Shores. I love it.

http://www.kuhio-shores.com/KS207.html

The managing agent is good to work with too.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

A friend of mine stayed at at Kuhio Shores for 4 nights in early March. They booked at the last minute and found a very nice unit VRBO. But I would also recommend going through summitpacific.com. Great location and most of the units have been upgraded. Read the reviews and you'll be able to pick out a great unit. The Marriott Lihue is also a great suggestion. It is a very nice property and centrally located. With only 4 days, you will want to have easy access to both Waimea Canyon and the North Shore.

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

A thank you to everyone who has provided advice and recommendations in this matter. I am sure I will find something nice shortly.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where To Stay In Kauai

Molly, I understand your concerns better now. Yes, it can be hit or miss with a privately owned condominium. I'd say the majority of people seem to have fine experiences though.

There are 2 general ways to rent a privately owned condominium. You can rent directly from the owner such as with VRBO, Craigslist, etc. Or, you can rent from an agency that manages and rents privately owned condos for the owners.

If you have concerns I would strongly urge you to go the second route. There are a good number of agencies with dozens of good properties to pick from. Make sure you choose an agency that is actually located ON Kauai, not an online company that is strictly an intermediary. You need an on-island agency with a real office, staff, and housekeeping and maintenance staff. Going this route you have more assurances . Something is wrong with the unit, or you don't like it, the agency will have an inventory of other units for you to look at. This isn't so easy when you rent directly from one owner for their one unit and you have paid in full prior to your arrival. They have nothing to move you to if something is wrong with your unit or you feel it was misrepresented.

If you're looking at the south shore I highly recommend:

Suite Paradise (over 200 condos)

Parrish Kauai Collection ( dozens of condos plus homes and cottages)

Garden island Rentals ( ditto, homes and condos).

All 3 of these are located in Poipu. Parrish and Garden island Rentals provide pictures of every unit and you select your unit. With Suite Paradise you select your category of unit.

Those familiar with Kauai and frequent travellers will often go the first route but for the first timers, or those who are unsure, I always recommend working with an agency such as those above.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 06:31