We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
639 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

We were up and out the door at 6am, headed to SFO. Arrived 2 hours before our flight and *panic* the lines were the worst I've ever seen! Not only were we worried we wouldn't get our checked baggage thru by the 45 min. deadline ... we were worried we wouldn't be able to get thru security in time to make our flight! Luckily the lines moved smoothly & a nice United employee moved us thru 2 different family lines which sped up the process. Thank goodness because we just made it to the boarding area as our plane started boarding. Made for a stressful start and I highly suggest giving yourself EXTRA time getting to the airport in case of unforeseen, crazy circumstances! We boarded our plane, collapsed, drank mai tais, napped and watched 2 movies. Then we landed in paradise!

Lihue airport was easy to manuever ... my only disappointment was when I went to find the floral shop to buy leis there was a security area I would have to leave and come back thru to get to baggage claim. Decided to skip the leis and just wait in baggage claim with my 7 yr old daughter, hubby & BFF (who turns 40 while we are here next week). No biggie since we will buy leis while we are here! Got our luggage, saw MartiK's hubby & said "hi", walked across to the rental car shuttles then headed off to THrifty where we had no problems, avoided upsells and took off in our standard SUV (nice and roomy for the 4 of us). It was raining but the tropical setting was beautiful!

Our rental home on Baby's Beach in Poipu was ready early. Arrived and *gasped* with delight as we entered the most amazing home with stunning views and beach access. (Thank you, MartiK for all your help!!) I had Parrish deliver a few groceries so we popped open the bubbly to celebrate the Big 4-0 vacation! The sun came out and hubby & DD went down to the beach to swim & snorkel while BFF & I sat soaking up the views on the lania and enjoying our champagne. We a nice afternoon but were starved so we headed out about 4:15pm to Keoki's!

Our reservations were at 4:45pm in the dining room, however we hit the bar first for happy hour. Yummy drinks and loved loved loved the atmosphere! Casual and tiki like! Our bar waitress indicated she had "already closed out the bill" when we asked her to transfer our drink tab to the dining room. I realize she was worried about her tip but I also knew she could still switch the tab, having worked in the restaurant industry for years. Oh well, didn't make a stink of it and went off to dinner .... we got to our table and saw MartiK with her family. Got big hugs and had fun chit chat then we had a delicious dinner! Pork Spring rolls, thai shrimp skewers for apps ... warm, bacon spinach salad ... hubby & I had the parmesan, mac nut crusted monchong (sp?) fish (thanks to someone recommending it on TA!) and BFF had the ahi. Everything was insanely yummy & well prepared. We had to skip the hula pie since 1 we were full an 2 we were insanely tired being on Cali time & having cocktails in us. We will, however, definitely be going back to Keoki's and I highly recommend it, especially at an earlier hour!

Off for home and off to bed we went! Slept great listening to the sound of the ocean and was thankful for the ceiling fan and island breezes. This morning we woke at 5:45am, have enjoyed coffee & breakfast on the lanai, have walked on the beach and now are off to Costco & Big Save or Walmart ... Hooray for Day 1 in paradise! More to follow this week ....

ALOHA!!

Edited: 11 June 2011, 19:03
BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

Your first day sounds wonderful. We also love Keoki's and generally just eat in the bar, but it sounds like the dining room menu is larger, so might have to try that next time.

Thanks for the update and enjoy every day!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

So glad you are enjoying your time so far! We ended up ordering pupus for dinner: Crab Cakes, Sashimi with rice and the Koloa Pork Spring Rolls witha dinner salad. We had a wonderful waitress (Reina) who just moved here from San Francisco. She was a delight. We usually go back to have fish tacos in the bar at some point when we don't want to get too dressed up. Keoki's was wonderful and I'm so glad we ate early (also at 4;45) because it really started to fill up by the time we left.

We are off to Lihue for shopping this morning as well but I slept in!! LOL!! Still in my PJs and enjoying this amazing view. We watched the sunset last night while enjoying a wonderful bottle of champagne! ;)

jjd15
Level Contributor
36 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

Had to jump on here, martik and onesassymom, before I head to bed because I knew that your trip was soon and was looking for a post. So glad you both had a great first day! Onesassymom, so excited to read about the house. Can't wait to be there ourselves!! 14 days! Enjoy your vacation and Happy Big 4-0!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

jjd15 - sent you a PM. You are going to love the house! martik knows her stuff, that's for sure! =) Let me know if you have any questions!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,658 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

Aloha,

Mahalo and have a great time

6. Re: 40th Bday Trip Report - Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:15