We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Topic
Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Firstly, I need to admit I may have a problem. Ever since my family decided to vacation in Kauai, I have been in full research mode for our trip. After finding this forum, I have been taken in by the wealth of information and "aloha" spirit that permeates here. I almost feel neglectful to my work because I am on here so much now! So instead of standing on the sidelines, I wanted to jump in and utilize everyone's advice and suggestions.

We are planning a week long trip in April. Our party will consist of two families with 3 kids each (ages between 6months to 6 years old). Other family members will be staying at the Hyatt, so we wanted to be close by. My research has led me to the Baby Beach Bungalows for our two families of five. We wanted to the freedom to walk to the beach with the six kids (i.e. close, real CLOSE to the beach), no stairs to worry about (knocking a lot of condos out of the running), enough space for the kids not to be crammed together (like a hotel room) and separate space so everyone can have quiet nap times. Is this a good choice? All suggestions and opinions would be appreciated!

P.S. My kids (and us parents!) are shave ice fanatics. Any suggestions? We love Waiola's and Shimazu's in Oahu.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Baby Beach Bungalows are a wonderful choice. As you can tell from the pictures they're basically side-by-side, both one level (good for kids) and immediately across from (or very close) to the pathway between homes to Baby Beach. The group can also walk over to Kukuiula Village for restaurants and shops there.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Baby's Beach is a great area for kids. The beach is protected by a reef and is like a large swimming pool. And it is a quiet, residential area. These bungalows are right across a very narrow street from the beach access to Baby's Beach. They are in a great location and it is a great idea to give each family their own space. I've never stayed in these bungalows but I have stayed in the house just in front and the two other 2 bedrooms just to the left. With your criteria, these will be a great choice. Baby's Beach is about 2 1/2 miles from the Hyatt.

My kids' favorite spot for shave ice in Poipu is down at the Brennecke's Beach Broiler snack shop (downstairs). Another great place is Jojo's Anuenue (on the side street) in Waimea. In Hanalei, Paradise Shave Ice next to Java Kai or the place at the end of Weke Road next to the surf lessons. You'll see a bunch of other places all over but these are the one's that stood out to my kids.

phoenix
Level Contributor
13 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Baby Beach is a lovely little spot, especially in the morning. Great for kids. Not a lot of shade in the afternoon. Shave Ice.....Jojo's Anuenue in Waimea!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Second Jojo's Anuenue. Go PAST Jojo's Clubhouse in Waimea and take the next left. Anuenue will be almost immediately on your right.

Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

Thanks for the input! Sounds like we will have to try Jojo's in Waimea! Any other shave ice suggestions in or near Poipu/Koloa? Seriously, my family will go everyday (sometimes more!) if it's good!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

There is a shave ice place in the small shopping center in Poipu with the yellow submarine (Kukui'ula Market and Outfitters are there). You can walk there from Baby's Beach. Also, at the end of Poipu Road in Koloa. My kids love the shave ice at Brennecke's in Poipu.

Camarillo...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

martik, we will try Brennecke's Beach Broiler. And thanks for confirming my decision to stay at the Baby Beach Bungalows. We can't wait til April!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

regarding Brennecke's: Shave Ice is downstairs in the little market. I love the Baby's Beach area!

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

We went to Jojo's Anuenue on our first day. I was disappointed. Maybe on off day b/c it generally gets great reviews. The ice was not really soft or flaky...it was more clumpy and frozen. Don't know if that makes sense. Maybe the blade needed to be sharpened? Everytime we drove by Wishing Well it was closed. Rats!

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby Beach Bungalows in April... good choice? and shave ice

You will find more shave ice stands than you can shake a stick at. You will have no shortage of shave ice runs.