We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in September ?

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in September ?

Hello, will be making our first trip to Kauai in Sept, staying on East side, with about 5 people.

1) Is there anything special about visiting in September that I should consider or be aware of before hand that helps in planning? I have a tendency to roughly plan out a trip as it makes it easier with different families.

So far, I believe it is considered summer/shoulder season and should in general follow the advise for summer travel about which side of the island for what? Other than that, just saw some notes about school started so less busy and weather should in general be fine/hot.

2) We are staying for a week in mid-Sept - Wed to Wed. How far in advance do you need to book most activities? I would prefer to wait until in Hawaii so can see weather for next 5 days and plan around that but I've seen a couple of books etc that recommend booking earlier. We are doing a few scuba trips, maybe the tubing and maybe a boat trip and rest of the time exploring on our own (snorkel, hike, drive, shop, beach etc).

3) Last, this is the first time any of us have done a condo. I am trying to search for pointers on what to bring etc to make the most of this over a hotel but any other advice is appreciated. I noticed mostly ability to cook and do laundry seems to be the common notes though guessing you have to buy everything needed to cook - seasoning, oil, etc?

Thanks for all suggestions - really looking forward to the trip!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in September ?

I would not bring a lot of cooking supplies unless you know you may want to make dishes with hard to find ingredients. If you bring some spices, remember that your bags will be weighed. There is a big difference in how some condos are outfitted. Some have the bare minimum, and others have a number of things that you would find useful. Don't go shopping until you have checked in and checked out the kitchen. About all I bring (and we do usually plan to cook) are recipes for things like grilled fresh fish, etc. Where are you staying?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in September ?

You'll probably be fine waiting to book unless you want to go on a boat tour out of the north shore of Kauai. Have read for example that Na Pali catamaran only holds about 16 people whereas Captain Andy and Holo Holo who go out of the west shore hold about 40-45. September is a very good month to go.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in September ?

We are staying at outrigger waipouli.

I think the scuba tours will be our biggest concern since we have have more limited options of what times we can go as only part of our group is certified and can't do the Waimea canyon at the same time so want to make sure I have different days. i liked idea of the helicopter ride but so expensive and not all of our group will want to spend that much so the boat ride is our next option to see the coast.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in September ?

>>>Don't go shopping until you have checked in and checked out the kitchen.<<<

Absolutely! So owners will even make sure you have few staples like cooking oil, dish soap, ketchup etc.

I would make a reservation early in your trip for the Napali tour so that if the weather/ocean condition is bad, you'd still be on-island to re-schedule.

We visit every September. Less rain, fewer kids, fewer tourists, better pricing on rental cars & airfare (usually), most every fruit & veggie grown on Kauai (or Hawaii) is in season, warm, warm ocean and not unusual to find flat ocean conditions island- wide (meaning you can swim everywhere).

We arrive Sept 1 for two weeks.

3Chihuahuas

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in September ?

Agree with 3 chi's about the good reasons for visiting in September. I would get the NaPali reservations for early in the trip so if the weather doesn't cooperate you can reschedule. Where you are staying is right across the street from a grocery store, so no worries about waiting to shop until you see what you have at the condo.

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in September ?

At WBR they probably don't allow condiments to stay since its rented through a management company and things have to be pretty uniform, but Safeway is right across the street. It is so easy to walk across the highway and get what you want. The Longs Drugs in the front of that center has food items and wine to buy too. Ask for the Safeway discount card if you don't have one. You are walking distance to some good restaurants (not great ones and avoid the chinese place next to Safeway, Pacific Bistro I think its called, yuck) so do some meal planning and you will be fine.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in September ?

Many Fixed Wing tours are the same price or less than that of the Boat tours. And you get to see the Canyon and other parts of the island as well.

Edited: 01 August 2011, 17:29
Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in September ?

Thanks 3chi. we arrive Sept 2 for a North Shore Time Share/trade week and I was getting worried from reading posts that we were going a bit too early in the month. Thanks, too, for the good suggestion on the Cat ride

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in September ?

gromit & horselady - keep on eye on the forum. There will be at least one TA get-together in September. I'm hoping to post details this week (just need to double check a couple of things).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k46358…

3Chihuahuas

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
925 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in September ?

Arriving Sept 9th enjoy reading and learning from these forums