We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Hi all, I am taking my first trip to Kauai in June; I have a week after a conference in Oahu. I am staying at the Sheraton in Poipu, and I won't be driving since the whole driving-on-the-other-side-of-the-road really freaks me out.

From what I have been reading, I would really love to do a cruise of the Na Pali coast. I wrote to the Captain Andy people and they do not do hotel pick-ups and did not have any information about how I might affordably get to their boat. My holidays in Hawaii before have always been in Maui where hotel pick-ups have been standard, so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for small quality cruise companies in Kauai that do hotel-pick ups?

And if not, suggestions for another day activity? I have booked a tour on Viator for a 9 hour combined coach trip to Waimea Canyon and Wailau River cruise. Mainly I just want to relax and unwind, but one more day trip would be good. I love to snorkle; I don't want to do a helicopter tour and I am definitely not into zip lining.

any suggestions gratefully received.

thanks.

California
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Maybe the Sheraton would have some suggestions.

You've picked a great hotel to stay without a car. It's on a great beach and within walking distance to some of the best restaurants and some cute shopping villages. Also, you can snorkel in front of the Sheraton. It might not be the best on the island, but my SIL and grandkids have spent many enjoyable hours snorkeling there.

melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Oh that is a great idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that, their concierge would definitely know of companies that pick up from the hotel. I'll go looking for an email address now. thanks!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Very few companies on Kauai pick up at the hotels since most people who visit the island have rental cars. Captain Andy's is definitely one of of the best and is not a small organization. I think Smith's luau offers rides but only for folks staying on the east side. I think your best bet is to make arrangements through the Sheraton to go to/from Port Allen which is where most of the tours leave from.

melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Hi there, thanks for the info. That is very disappointing news. I have written to the Sheraton Guest Services; hopefully they will have some information that may help. If not, cest la vie : I picked the Sheraton because it's right on the beach and I think I will be very happy to just rest and relax right there.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

You can take a taxi to/from Port Allen. I would not give up on a boat tour of the Napali Coast! It is amazing!

When are you staying at the Sheraton? I will be staying in Poipu and I have to drive to Port Allen on several afternoons to pick up my husband at work. If it works out, I could give you a ride. For your trip home, you could ask someone for a lift on the boat tour or have the tour company call you a cab.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

I would suggest getting a cab. I think Port Allen was only about 20 minutes from the Sheraton and the cruise was amazing so I would suggest not to miss it. The Sheraton has a free shuttle but it only takes you to the nearby shopping areas.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

We'll be in Poupi for several days in June and will be taking a Na Pali tour from Pt. Allen. We'd also be happy to give you a ride if the dates work out. PM me with your dates and we'll see...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Very few people come to Kaua'i and do not rent a car - so as mentioned earlier, not many activity people go to every hotel to pick up - apparently Captain Andy's is one of them.

Here is a link to a local taxi service here in the Po'ipu area - they give their prices and specifications pretty clearly - so you can see what it would cost.

It takes me about 20-25 minutes to drive to Port Allen and I live here in the Po'ipu area. You could call Captain Andy's and find out exactly how many miles it is from Po'ipu Beach area to their location at Port Allen.

http://poiputaxi.com/

Malama Pono,

Janet

melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Thank you all for your generous offers and information - you're all wonderful. I have sent an email to the Pono taxi company asking for a quote. If its not too outrageous, that is what I will do. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Na Pali Coast tour from Poipu hotel, with no car

Perhaps if you are specific about the day you want to go, you could find someone here on TA who is staying at the Sheraton and planning to do the cruise?

Axe murderers are simply not allowed on Kauai, right?