We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

I'm staying in Poipu for 6 nights with my wife and toddler next week (June 8th thru 14th), but the forecast is projecting rain four of those days. Not sure what I should do. I specifically tried to plan our trip around the best possible weather.

How will the rain impact our outdoor activities (beach, parks, etc.). I'm not sure how to interpret the forecasts since I understand rain showers can be common.

Thanks for the advice!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

For openers no forecast is good for more than 2 days...it will rain a bit somewhere on island most days, normally brief showers that will have no impact.

Take a look at this site http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php

I can't even imagine cancelling a trip to Kauai because it might rain!

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

The weather.com site predicted showers (30-40%) for Koloa the first three days of June but if you look at the stats...there was 0 precipitation during those days. If you are familiar with the weather.com site you will notice that they predict showers for about 70 -80 % of the ten day forcast...but when you check in retrospect it doesn't put down measureable precip 80% of the time. I have noticed this pattern for Koloa in the summer each of the last three years. Also if there are showers in Poipu....just wait or go over to the west side. We went to a gift shop in Lawai during a torrential downpour last July. By the time we checked out and got back to our house the sun was out and it was beautiful the rest of the day. We went tubing on a gray rainy morning but it stopped raining for three hours during our trip and it was great and the little rain shower that hit while we were tubing made it more fun actually.. I rmember taking a helicopter ride and We went through a shower when we went over Haupa and then just over hanalei bay. It was so fantastic. The rain made the contrast between light and dark even more dramatic...so much better than a clear sunny day... seeing rainbows all around from a heli is a special experience.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
800 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. Of course there are never 100% guarantees about weather...but June on the south shore is a pretty good bet...rain forecasts in the islands, most of the time, don't seem to mean much...it may "rain" but it is such that most people don't even get up from their towel on the beach. Have a wonderful time, it's difficult not to in Kauai.

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

Our last trip to Kauai, we booked one night at the Hyatt to enjoy the pools, etc.

We were up early to get our chairs, etc. and during breakfast the clouds came in. Sure enough, it rained the whole day! Sun came out around 4pm. But you know what, we had fun anyway! We swam in the pools, warmed up in the hot tub & ordered Mai Tai's. We enjoyed the lagoon pools and had an amazing time that day. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade...when it rains, look for rainbows!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

Dont even worry about the rain...The rain is beautiful on Kauai and really brings out the fragrances of the island. There may be an occasional "storm" but who can predict that??

Relax you will love Kauai.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

My best advice is to not look at the weather channel for Hawaii. Because at some point, it will maybe rain somewhere on the island, so guess what - rain is predicted. You may not see a drop of rain on your whole vacation, especially going in June . . . I wouldn't worry about it one bit. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

I'm not sure where you are looking, but any forecast I have says "chance " of rain. Absolutely normal. And usually refers to showers. They come and go. Quite lovely and refreshing. Personally, I'd be worried about too much sun in Poipu rather than not enough! (well, I burn easily...)

No sign of storms that I can find on our regular sources. June should be fine. You did well.

FYI last year that week it poured here at my house - not uncommon, we are a wetter area. Martik was down in Poipu and laughed at me worrying about her holiday - they were in sunshine practically the whole time! Poipu is only 2 mi away as the crow flies - so you can see why the weather gurus have trouble pinpointing where the precipitation will fall. It's about the topography here. Poipu is greatly favored when it comes to sunshine - I like to say my valley is particularly lush - all the time.......

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,338 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

<< Martik was down in Poipu and laughed at me worrying about her holiday - they were in sunshine practically the whole time!>>

That was so funny! We had beautiful weather in Poipu the whole time we were on the island last June. And when I looked up at Kalaheo, it was shrouded in clouds! We're coming on June 14th and I'm not worried at all about the weather. We come to the island every June (once the kids get out of school) and we've experience very little rain in Poipu. Usually just a passing shower, or two.

Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

I had heard the same thing two weeks ago when I was about to leave for Hawii, and the weather was great. I found several articles online about how Hawaii is not somewhere where you wan to check the weather forecast because of how misleading it is. It will undoubtly rain while you are there, and then in 5 minutes the rain clears and its sunny again. Its just how hawaii is.

California
Level Contributor
35,586 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu - Lots of rain forecasted next week. Should I cancel?

For the 10 days I was on island in May it said rain, rain, rain.... before I left and ONE night is rained for a few hours. Other than that I remember only a sprinkle on the way through Anahola and 10 minutes while tubing.

It IS going to rain somewhere on the island during a 24 hour period. Somewhere, sometime for a few minutes.

If this was March, I would tell you something different, but honestly have a mai tai and don't read the weather forecasts.