We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

I just wrote my review which should be posted in a llittle while. But I also wanted to post something on the forum. We went to Tortilla Republic last night and LOVED IT! We're from Southern California and we eat a lot of Mexican food. Tortilla Republic is a more upscale Mexican restaurant with different ways of presenting their food. It is a lot like Javier's in Irvine or Laguna or Sabor Cantina in Thousand Oaks. We LOVED Pedro and his table side guacamole! He made it extra spicey for our family (at our reuqest). He even gave us some extra serrano peppers. Our service was outstanding and the food was excellent. We are going back this weekend so I can order something else on the menu. Loves the margaritas!

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

Yummmm! Can't wait to try this restaurant! I believe the manager, Eric, used to manage Beach House. He's the nicest guy ever!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

You know, he did look familar! I kept asking my husband, who is that guy? My husband has met the owner, Jordan several times but he was not in last night. We'll probably see him next week when Parrish hosts a Happy Hour at Tortilla Republic. I have to say, the word is out about Tortilla Republic! By the time we left, both dining rooms were full. So I would recommend making reservations. You can do that via Open Table.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

We tried it last Oct. for the first time. We think it's great, too. We had so many new restaurants to catch up with, including Merriman's upstairs and Josselin's, that we didn't get around to all the usual ones we go to in a week's time.

Love having all the choices.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

<<we didn't get around to all the usual ones we go to in a week's time.>>

Us, too! Looks like we will not get around to Keoki's or Roy's. We're not crazy about Josselin's (too loud) and Merriman's was good (we tried it last summer). But I think we'll have to go back to Tortilla Republic. It's also a lot less exepnsive than the other places in the area.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

Just returned from another dinner at Tortilla Republic! Better tonight than on Wednesday! We also formally met Eric. 22Kauai, Eric says hello and cannot wait to see you guys again on the south shore!

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

Have to try this place, so glad you reviewed it Martik, thanks, If i can talk the wife into it, she prefers eating more Fish and local foods while on the Island, But If I start on her now who knows lol

Edited: 24 June 2012, 15:39
Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

Thanks for posting this review. I, too, live in California where mexican food is plentiful so trend away from it on the islands. However, you have convinced me to give it a try next year!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

ca1Robert - that's my barrier, too with my DH. I hoping this will put him over the top for a try!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

They have plenty of fresh fish on the menu, as well. I had loster enchiladas last night. I don't normally order lobster but these were so tasty!

California
Level Contributor
36,398 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amazing dinner at Tortilla Republic!

I've heard they have some pretty amazing cocktails at TR. I will for sure try it in Sept.