We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai bike trip

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai bike trip

Would be possible ( and safe) to rent bikes and ride down the Canyon rather than take the tour? The tour seems rather expensive.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai bike trip

Biking Kauai:

We bike kauai every visit, but have not ridden down Waimea Canyon road.

If the bike has special brakes, and you do it very early, and someone is at the bottom to put the bikes on a rack.....

Dont see a problem....you have to use good sense, and be very, very early...you certainly do NOT want to be keeping company with any vehicles...at any time. UP OR DOWN TRAFFIC.

Not enough room for you, cars, and blind turns. NOT SAFE, LATE.

It is all down hill,and I would think large brakes would be required. Call OUTFITTERS, or whoever has those downhill tours, and ask them what type of brakes they have on their downhill tour bikes.

It is a long down hill ride, and fantastic scenery,and views.

Denny

new york
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai bike trip

Hey did you get to ride down the canyon ?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai bike trip

If you want to ride down Waimea Canyon and don't have a bike - especially one with special brakes that are needed: there is a place called "Outfitters" here in Koloa, across from the fire station.

I'm usually going up to Koke'e Park every Friday morning, and I see them hurtling down the highway up there around 8am! Stay out of their way!

I've heard lots of people rave about this -- it definitely would be a rush!

4. Re: Kauai bike trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 13:18