We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

My husband and I are headed to this area in April 2013. We will be traveling with our son, his wife and 6 month old. We would like 2 bedroom hotel or condo since we'll have the baby with us. We love to snorkel so we would like to be near Baby Beach and Poipu Beach. Any recommendations for nearby resorts within easy walking distance since we'll have baby equipment to pack around? Thanks!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Do you have a budget in mind? Amentities? We've been staying in Poipu with our boys since they were 3 momths old each.

California
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Check out Nihi Kai Villas and Kiahuna Plantation. Both are very nice and would fit your needs.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Since we are two couples to share the cost, I'd like to stick to something less than $400/night for a 2 bedroom condo or hotel room. Our biggest concern is walking distance to the nice (i.e. no pounding surf) beaches in that area. Sounds like none of the hotels are right on these two beaches, but some will refer to a 10 minute "hike" and someone else calls it an easy walk! :) We would also like a place with a pool as we won't be at the beach each day. Thanks so much!

California
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Nihi Kai is the closest to Poipu Beach Park where there is a protected area that's good for small children. Baby Beach is on Hoona Road off Lawa'i Rd.--you'd want to drive.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Since you want a pool than staying on Baby's Beach will not work. We used to stay there all of the time. We now stay at Nihi Kai which is close to Poipu Beach and has a great heated pool with a kiddie pool and a great view.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

As others have said, Nihi Kai or Kiahuna - the first can be booked through Parrish or on VRBO, the latter through Castle, Outrigger or VRBO.

You can rent baby equipment on island- Kauai Ready Rentals, Kauai Baby Rental and Kauai Baby Gear - to save your son from having to schlep it.

Here's my April 2011 trip report blog traveling with a 7.5 month old and a toddler. We mostly stayed North that trip; click on the Kauai with 9 month old photo album to see our earlier trip staying in Poipu. http://kauaiflamingos.blogspot.com

April is a great time to visit - fewer crowds, nice weather, not too hot.

We love the Point at Poipu timeshare property - it's a little far from the beach (though we walk it with a stroller just fine) but the units are very spacious and the pool is perfect for little ones. You can rent through Expedia for $400ish/nt. or find someone on eBay or VRBO renting their week. http://www.vrbo.com/314344

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Kiahuna Plantation, Marriott Waiohai, Poipu Kapili (our favorite) and Wyndham Koloa Landing.

The only negative on Kiahuna is the pool area, which is across the street and up from the complex.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

Thank you for the information, especially the baby rental info. Our son is 34, so I've been out of the baby game for a very long time and this is their first child. That was a great tip!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

We are a family of 5 and staying in Poipu the 2nd week in October. We have 3 kids, 8,8, and 11. We are staying at Whaler's Cove 212. Two bedroom condo with a nice pool close to child friendly beaches and snorkeling and its well within your budget. We were looking for the same thing as you, next to the ocean with a pool because we didn't want to have to always go to the beach with the kids.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu Beaches and Resorts for Family

We are a family of 5 and staying in Poipu the 2nd week in October. We have 3 kids, 8,8, and 11. We are staying at Whaler's Cove 212. Two bedroom condo with a nice pool close to child friendly beaches and snorkeling and its well within your budget. We were looking for the same thing as you, next to the ocean with a pool because we didn't want to have to always go to the beach with the kids.