We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

Please help me plan our romantic anniversary trip for January or February!

We enjoy swimming and snorkeling. LOVE hearing the ocean from my room at night. Is the Ocean wing or the Beach wing better, with a Deluxe Ocean Front room?

We aren't into pools. We like the beach. We will also have a rental car to explore the island.

The Sheraton is a better price in this package than the Hyatt.

Thanks!!!

California
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

"The Ocean Wing rooms share a common entry with one other room, making them ideal for either families or friends traveling together (based upon availability)." Based on this description on the Sheraton website, I'd choose the Beach wing. You should definitely be able to hear the ocean. I love the location of this property--the beach is one of the best on Kauai. Your also withing walking distance of shopping and restaurants.

Have fun!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

I would think the Ocean Wing would be the best. It is the closest to the ocean and the waves break on the lava point there, so I think it would be more pronounced.

http://goo.gl/maps/D3a0f

Edited: 20 October 2012, 16:01
palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

I would choose the ocean wing. It is in a beautiful and quiet location. The rooms all look out to the southwest with no pool or restaurant activity in front of it...only lawn. Also a good place to watch the sunsets from.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

The ocean wing. The beach wing has the pool, outdoor cafe and people right below all of which might block out the sound of the ocean. The ocean wing has a grassy area with only a paved walkway between the building and the water.

California
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

Okay, I change my vote to the ocean wing. Sounds like a much better view.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Easy choice IMO (I worked at the Sheraton for 5 years) - if you don't care about being right by the pool, beach and pool bar - then I'd choose the Ocean Wing.

It is closer to the ocean, faces more westerly for great sunset views - and is much more quiet than the Beach wing.

If you want to be close to the beach/pool - then the Beach Wing is a better choice for you. Once the pool and pool bar are closed down at night, I'm sure the sound of the ocean would be pretty much the only thing you'll hear.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

Thanks to all of you for your replies! I think we will definitely prefer the Ocean wing, which sounds quieter overall, even though it's definitely further from the sandy beach.

We love hearing the ocean at night. We generally prefer to be in the quieter wing of a hotel, away from the action.

Addison, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

We just stayed there and had an oceanfront room in building 2. Building 2 overlooks the beach, and you can hear the waves clearly.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just to clarify - Building 2 is also known as the Beach (or Pool) Wing.

Malama Pono,

Janet

10. Re: Sheraton Kauai: Ocean or Beach wing for hearing ocean??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:16